Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra BTHP vs. Nosler Ballistic Tip
 Login/Join

posted
I am working up a new load for my 300 WIn Mag for a upcomming hunt and wanted some feedback from those who have loaded and killed big game with these two bullets. The Seirra is a 165 BTHP gameking and the Nosler is a 180gr Ballistic Tip, I would like to know how they would perform on a heavy skinned Axis deer weighing in at around 200lbs and which one of these two you would use and why...thanks for your replies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of game with the 165HPBT out of a 308. Including some at fairly long range. I have never recovered one. It has always performed perfectly.

I killed 3 antelope with a 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip out of a 300 Weatherby. It tore them up pretty good.
I have used that same bullet in the 308 with good results, on deer pigs and antelope..
I would tant the Sierra as the tougher of the two by a slight amount.

I have killed a couple of pigs with a Remington factory load with a 180 Nosler Ballistic Tip out of my 300 Win Mag.

For 200 lb deer they will work fine.

However if I was "kicking" them out of the brush and might have to make a raking shot I would use a stouter constructed bullet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO you should avoid Sierra HPBT 165 g bullet; 2 years ago one of them blew miserably against the upper shoulder/spine of a roe deer, no exit hole. I shot it with a Tikka 300 WM at V/0 910 m/s, distance was 130 m. I cannot find any valid reason for a bullet to blow inside a 25 kg. animal. I dropped them since. With Nosler BT I had good results, but I find them quite soft and I had considerable meat damage.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Nosler Accubonds are what you are looking for, great accuracy and hold together well even at Mag vel.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For 200 lb deer they will work fine.

Well said.

My guess is that the Nosler B.Tip will perform more consistently than the Sierra BTHP.

The Nosler has a thin forward jacket which the polymer tip upsets rather rapidly for a quick beginning of expansion. The base of the Nosler is a chunk of solid jacket material that enhances penetration. A .30- cal 180 grain Noslter Ballistic Tip is just about ideal for 200 lb game.

The Sierra uses a somewhat heavier forward jacket to attempt to retard the expansion that is begun by it's rather large open point. These two features can SOMETIMES work at cross purposes, perhaps resulting in either too rapid or too slow expansion. Undesirable performance with this bullet occurs only a minor fraction of the time, but there is more potential for it than with some other bullets.

While there is certainly nothing wrong with the Nosler Accubond that was suggested by another poster, it is more appropriate for a 600 pound elk than a 200 pound deer. On the smaller animal you MIGHT not get as appropriately rapid expansion as you would desire.

Remember, far more game is lost every year to underexpansion than to overexpansion. The "premium" bullet craze has caused a lot of whitetail hunters to develop tracking skills they previously had little need of.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The 180 NBT is much tougher than many who haven't used them give them credit for. The jacket in the 180 is thicker than the jacket in the lighter NBTs. If you cut a 180 NBT in half and cut a 180 NAB in half to compare you will find that the jackets are almost identical w/ the exception of the AB being bonded. The 180 NBT has a pretty thick jacket. We shot one into a hardwood tree about 6" in diameter to see how it faired. It went thorough that tree and several other small trees behind it, we never found it. In whitetails the 180 NBT leaves about a 1-2" exit typically.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember, far more game is lost every year to underexpansion than to overexpansion. The "premium" bullet craze has caused a lot of whitetail hunters to develop tracking skills they previously had little need of.

Very true.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to thank all that replied, and I am still not sure which one I will be feeding an Axis, but I do know that the Sierras sure do group much better than the Noslers.

Sierras
100yds under 1/2"

Nosler
100yds 1 inch

one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't have to kill a squirrel, but a 200 lbs. deer. The accuracy you get with Nosler bullets is good and plenty enough.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I've only killed one deer with the 165 Sierra na d it was years ago. The Nosler 180 BT is my Gold standard for accuracy in the larger .30's. Performance as previously mentioned is much better than many think. Expansion and penetration feet of penetration if the corrct angle is choosen!

Pays your money and take your chance, both will do the job.

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with whatever is more accurate in your rifle. A 200 pound Axis is really not very tough and has NO chance against either projectile given that it is well placed.

Accuracy kills.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sierras sure do group much better than the Noslers.

you just answered your own question.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted Hide Post
The Sierra 165 gr HPBT has beeen my favourite soft skin animals bullet, for my 300 WBY for the last 15 years. This is a tough bullet (most of the cases the bullet exit) that works very good at magnum velocities. In my rifle (A Weatherby Mark V), it is very accurate and i get easyly 3300 ft/s. I have used this bullet from roebuck to sable with excellent results, If You hit the game reasonably good, you are sure you will get it.

Ignacio Colomer

Posts: 152 | Location: Almeria (Spain) | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TXTD,

Whow! You got a pretty good spectrum of responses here.

I'll cast my lot with the 165 gr. Sierra HPBT Game King. This bullet loaded in my .30/06 Sprg. has tallied up a considerable number of game similar in size to Axis Deer - Fallow & Red Deer Stags, Hinds & Calves with impressive results.

I've tried many 150, 165 & 180 Nosler BT's over the years and they have always delivered extrodinary accuracy for me in .308 Win., .30/06 Sprg.& .300 Weatherby Mag. I'll admit though that on occaision I've been disappointed with their "over-expansion" (read: meat damage).

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
.... depends on the use..

IMNSHO the Gameking is a hunting bullet, the BT isn't, but it's your call.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

Without a doubt, one of the statements on AR that *I* disagree with the most. Should "over expansion" be a hallmark of a "good killin" cartridge, everyone would hunt elk with a 204 Ruger .. on the other of the specturm, an arrow offers ZERO expansion (99.9% of the time) and people have taken everything in the world with a bow.

More game is lost to poor SHOOTING than anything the bullet does or doesn't do.

In deer to elk class rifles (6mm to 338 let's say), nearly all of these launch a bullet more or less 3000 FPS... even SOLIDS (zero expansion) kill graveyard dead with proper bullet placement in this class of animal.

Lots of hunters like to blaim bullets for shot placement issues... total bullocks...

Let's look at say a .308 150gr bullet...

if you shoot a deer in the guts with a BT it's going to run off, if you spine it with a barnes X (known for little expansion in mediums), it's going to be DRT (dead right there)

Switch that, same results.

But, now make that a 7x7 world class elk, but he's quartering away, at a grazing speed walk....last day, last hour of elk season you ahve $5k invested in

Which do you want to take this shot with?

which bullet do you WISH you had in your 300win?

The one that goes in and over expands, potentially resulting in a wounded and lost animal of a life time

or the one that puts the animal on the ground?

Fragible bullets are for paper and soft targets!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I've killed a pile of deer the last few years with a 180 NBT at approx 2955 fps MV. I've never recovered one, and have gone diagonally through several (in front shoulder breaking bones, out behind ribs).

1" groups at 100 are PLENTY GOOD in a deer hunting situation! See 'pursuit of irrelevant improvements' if that isn't good enough for deer hunting... Wink

If you can't get the same or better accuracy from a NBT as a Sierra (of the same mass), you still have some load tweaking to to...but keep in mind that you really aren't comparing apples to apples, you're shooting/comparing 165 grain vs. 180 grain!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote