THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Need suggestion for .375 HH & 270 gr. Hornady SP

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need suggestion for .375 HH & 270 gr. Hornady SP
 Login/Join

<Puddle>
posted
I've gathered up all the ingredients but need help with the mixing!

I'm using W-W brass, RL15, Hornady 270 gr. SP, and two primer types: F215M & WLR. Rifle is a new M70 Safari Express (150 rounds thru it). I'm after 1" groups.

1. Which primer should I go with? Does it really matter that much?

2. With RL15 can I just stay with a OAL of 3.60 or will I probably have to adjust seating depth?

3. Load manual says max load is ~73.4 gr. Does RL15 typically give best accuracy near max load?

all help appreciated!

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Puddle,
IMHO you have the makings for a good load, using the WW brass, RL15, F215M primer, and any bullet you want.

The WLR primer is the hottest one going. With RL15 and the modest case capacity of the 375 H&H, the F215M would probably be better. It is the one I use. If you do use the WLR, then you would need to work up a second string of charges.

I use 72 grains of RL15 with the WW brass and F215M primer behind the 300 grain Barnes X bullet for 2528 fps, from a 24" barrel, and 3/4 MOA for three shots.

I will soon be converting over to the GS Custom 265 grain HV and 270 grain FN. They should be the cat's meow in the 375 H&H.

What I really want to see is a 300 grain HV and FN from GS Custom.

Maybe Gerard will come to his senses when he gets caught up on work and bring out this pair of bullets. It is on my wish list, for use in any 375 bore rifle. KISS principle.

Yes, RL15 seems to work better at near-max charges, IMHO.

BTW, RL15 is the powder that the US Army chose for its 308 sniper loads. Temperature stability and all around uniformity champ in their tests.

------------------
Good huntin', shootin', and spear chuckin',
RAB

[This message has been edited by R. A. Berry (edited 10-07-2001).]

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
ahttp://stevespages.com/page8c.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote