Find
Notify
Tools

A beginner with a 1/2" rifle.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted
Any new hunting rifle shot by a beginner will shoot half inch groups at 100yds.

So As I had posted previously that as soon as time permited I would take David to the range to see if an 11 year old could shoot 1/2" groups with a 220 swift while having no experence with a centerfire rifle of any sort.

Well it is not a new rifle so for a qualatative experment we do come up a bit short! The rifle though is a 1/2" or less shooter with numerous bullet weights and Mfg's, powders and so on.

Warmed him up with the 10-22

Then I put him on the swift at 100 yards

His group measured 2.31" for 5 shots at 100 yards. I think it is going to take a rifle that fits him properly with a good load and lots of shooting. For him to get in the 1/2" area on a consistant basis.

I have though created a bit of a monster now. He was content with the 10-22. Guess I better start looking for something in a .223 with a youth stock for 2008.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How come the Ants aren't chewing all over David when he is on the ground?

quote:
I better start looking for something in a .223 with a youth stock for 2008.
That would make a great rifle to begin his centerfire skills with.

Does he have a phobia about Barbers? clap

Many, many years ago my Father was out of town and I was due for a haircut. Thought I'd really "grow it out" in the three days he'd be gone. Wink

I got out the old Schwin and headed in to town. Didn't get 4 bicycle lengths into town and one of my Fathers buddies spotted me - Mr. Dixon. He called me over, handed me $1, and said to go right on over to the Barber "and leave the change for his tip".

Some comment in the background about ALL OF US getting a whippin if Dad saw me with hair that long. shame

Might have been two weeks since the last haircut. rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Commendable performance!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesForget the .223. Forget the hair. get him a mild recoiling deer rifle that FITS him. A standard length action, long throated 250-3000, .257 Roberts or 6mm. might just be the ticket. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does he have a phobia about Barbers?

He just had it cut banana you know how it goes, the more you push the more you get the opposite. He really is a good kid so a bit of hair is a minor thing.
The ants aren't too numerous in this area and seem to be down in numbers this year. Makes me think that they have a natural cycle like other critters, and are on a down turn.

Roger you are the Devil Big Grin

Just kidding Rodger Wink The thought has crossed my mind to give him a twirl on my 260 with 100 grain loads using Seafire's blue dot data. I fully agree on a rifle that fits him properly that can be re-stocked in the future.

I am going to hold off on a deer rifle for now. I want to ease him in with lots shooting which for me will be a lot of loading Big Grin So right now in my mind a .223 is a good choice.
I am wating to see how he does with Tree Rats and Rabbits this fall with the Ruger. Not to mention the cost of .22 ammo is peanuts and at the rate he likes to burn it I still have a couple of bucks for beer's on the weekends.

Small steps for now, you know how kids are and I won't push, it has to be of his own free will. Hell he would shoot my Whelen if I let him but only once I bet.

One thing is for sure we need more kids shooting and hunting or all may be lost.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
He just had it cut you know how it goes, the more you push the more you get the opposite. He really is a good kid so a bit of hair is a minor thing

SmilerAs a father and/or step father of 7 I've learned to pick my battles. And hair length isn't even on the radar. rotflmo
Nice looking young man. Glad he shares your interests.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipster:
... He just had it cut banana you know how it goes, ...
clap

260? Don't they use one of those strange "in-between-the-good-Bullets" bullets? fishing Is it possible to get 2-3 shots without wearing the barrel out???

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its not that he wont get his hair cut...
its that this is his barber.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Posted 04 September 2007 01:12

So As I had posted previously that as soon as time permited I would take David to the range to see if an 11 year old could shoot 1/2" groups with a 220 swift while having no experence with a centerfire rifle of any sort.

HEY PLEASE watch what you tell the young man !.

Either this is a sad sick joke or your a loony !.
Very few Weapons will shoot .5 MOA and even less people can do it !.

So knock off that BS and don't ruin his hopes and dreams of becoming a crack shot !. He seems to be doing very well to this point .

Kudos to him !.

You just praise him on his success and safe firearms handling and don't rock the boat with BS .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
260? Don't they use one of those strange "in-between-the-good-Bullets" bullets? Is it possible to get 2-3 shots without wearing the barrel out???

Well they are metric bullets 6.5 mm or so they tell me. Barrel life was a bit of an issue but once I stopped using the DU bullets barrel life improved for the better. But now penetration has dropped off to somewhat mundane and average levels.

With the bullets being metric and all I have to do all my numbers in meters per second, jules of energy and so on. Bit of a stretch for a feller who is used to feet, pounds, pints and so on. I put emphasis on the pints as a unit of measure on the weekends in good company as you all know. beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
... With the bullets being metric and all I have to do all my numbers in meters per second, jules of energy and so on. Bit of a stretch for a feller who is used to feet, pounds, pints and so on. I put emphasis on the pints as a unit of measure on the weekends in good company as you all know. beer
I wonder how many shots the barrel is good for in "metric" numbers??? rotflmo

Maybe shootaway can help me out. Probably out buying barrels by the train load for the 458Win. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
HEY PLEASE watch what you tell the young man !.

Either this is a sad sick joke or your a loony !.
Very few Weapons will shoot .5 MOA and even less people can do it !.

So knock off that BS and don't ruin his hopes and dreams of becoming a crack shot !. He seems to be doing very well to this point .

Kudos to him !.

You just praise him on his success and safe firearms handling and don't rock the boat with BS .

You missed the thread on how all this began If I could figure out how to link it here you would be able to read it and to see what the above was all about and also see past previous threads where hot core myself and others have had a bit of fun with the poster in question.It is well all in good fun we are just being a wee bit cheeky.

So yes you are right it is a bit of a joke not a sick one I don't think, and well you got me all figured out on the loony part though kudo's to you on that though.

Hot Core I figure it goes something like the temp conversion for c to f you double it and add 30 or there abouts so 30 C is pretty close to 90 give or take So would 6.5 x 2 + 30 sound about right? dancing

I am going to try to post a link to the thread on how all the above came to be. If it does not work please bear with me untill I get it right.

One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here ya go DOC (I hope anyway)

Read the first page and you will get the hole thing. thumb

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/205104766

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I figure it goes something like the temp conversion for c to f you double it and add 30 or there abouts so 30 C is pretty close to 90 give or take So would 6.5 x 2 + 30 sound about right? dancing ...
Did you learn that from shootaway or dr k? beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post

So I take it , You weren't the one to originally post the above statement !.

Keep up the good work with that young man , SORRY about the Loony bit !!.

If any of you learn anything from ME , it would be a miracle .

How ever I do have enough of an education to apologize when I have spoken out of context or am wrong !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote