New
Find
Notify
Tools

300RUM/TSX/200gr/Test Results
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I broke in my barrel today and fireformed some cases,tried some powders,etc...I used a new,unfired 700BDL,Rem cases,fed 215 primers,mollycoated 200gr TSX bullets.Powders used were Retumbo,Reloader 25,IMR4350,Vit560.I did not have the chrony adjusted right and used up some of the test loads to get the scope on target at 200yds,so there is alot of missing info that I will get next time.The most accurate group was the89 grain Vit 560 load that gave the group pictured below and a velocity of 3083fps.A 86 grain load of Vit 560 gave a vel. of 2986fps and a similar group.I used a Retumo load that gave me 2700fps and what looked like a very good group only to have done so too low on the target paper and left the third shot out.I'll have more detailed test results next week when I try out another batch.[URL= ]range[/URL][URL= ]shooting range[/URL][URL= ]300RUM[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I loaded some for my shooting buddies 300 RUM and i got very lucky using 150 gr Nosler ballistic tips and 92 grains of reloader 22. We didnt Chrono them but we got nothing but nice on hole 3 shot groups. The rifle is a custom with a very good break so there is no recoil.

Posts: 17 | Location: Tuolumne Co | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
brixter,I think the 300RUM will be really hard on ballistic tips.I am also going to try AA8700 next week,as Barnes lists it as their most accurate powder for the 200gr TSX.I didn't know I had some on hand.I finally got to see what recoil is like for this cartridge.I had to stay away from the scope and hold on really tight as with the hot loads, it comes back at you hard and fast.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yea , you could be right , we fired around 50 rounds with this load and it showed no problems . He had this built for shooting smaller bullets 110 to 150 gr for ground squirrels and such way out there so i am not privy to the twist rate.

Posts: 17 | Location: Tuolumne Co | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought you wanted to use the 150gr ballistic tips on big game.Squirrels are another story.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 200gr Accubonds and Retumbo. My Sako M-75 isn't the only 300 Ultra that this combo has shot very well in. 3 shots 200yds:

You can push them faster than I have them going here but in this case I can't think why I want to change anything.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
djpaintless,the group that I have pictured should reduce to about the size of the one you pictured when I reload my fireformed cases.I have 5 300 Win Mags that can produced a group below half an inch with the TSX bullet,and I don't see why the 300RUM will not do the same.I don't like the Accubond bullet,it's not as tough as the TSX.

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I worked up a great load using 88 grains of Retumbo with the 200 grain TSX and my 300 RUM. Chrono'd around 3075 fps at 10' from the muzzle

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 885 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was back at the range today and tried my fireformed cases with the same loads including the new load(AA 8700).I could not get a group below a foot in size at 200yds.When this happens I usually change case brand or accept the mediocre groups the new/unfired cases gave.Resizing does not bring back my cases to the original size but leaves them slightly larger.I have some nosler cases on order.One load that caused confusion was the AA8700.The group had one hole on the edge of the paper and 2 holes on the wooden board holding the target paper that were as close to give a below half inch group.The only problem was that, I am not sure they were my holes.I think they were mine because there were not that many holes on the board and these two along with the one on the edge of the paper formed a clover leaf.The velocity of the 105 grain AA8700 load was 2926fps and it was a compressed load.I will try again next week and see if the group belongs to this load.If this group was mine,then AA would be my powder of choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was back at the range today.It seems the large groups were caused by the barrel not yet being broken-in.Here are two groups at 200yds,one with 89 grains of H-1000 and the other with 88 grains of R-25.These like the others are with 200 grain TSX bullets and Remington cases.[URL= ]H-1000[/URL][URL= ]R25[/URL] The R-25 load had the less recoil of all powders tested.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a group with 8700. It seeems that Remington barrels don't like the 200grain TSX or better results might be obtained through better cases.[URL= ]105grs/AA8700/200grTSX[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
It might be that your Remington 700 has issues. Your's wouldn't be the first Remington 700 300 RUM that did........................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was back trying to solve the problem today and found the solution.I was right when I narrowed it down to either the cases or the barrel and it was the Remington cases that were at fault.Here is a group with the same 105gr AA 8700 load but with Nosler cases.[URL= ]200yds105grAA8700;200grTSX[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 300ultramag has no issues at all with remington cases.The groups below are 100 yard groups.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Looks like you have a bedding problem...not a brass.
I have used rem brass in 6 300 RUMS and they all shot great.

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These groups are at 200yds not 100.Almost any load and rifle combo shoots well at 100yds.POP,this is not the first rifle I had in which changing case brand reduced a group size at 200yds from in one case a foot to half an inch.I bed all my rifles myself with Glass BED and never had a problem with bedding.Have you used Rem cases with a factory BDL? What you are saying does not make sense.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
These groups are at 200yds not 100

And those 200 yard groups of yours are around 3" compared to my sub 1/2" groups fired at 100 yards.

quote:
.Almost any load and rifle combo shoots well at 100yds.

Regardless of what is posted on these and other forums,the vast majority of hunting rifles do not consistently shoot sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards with any loads.

quote:
What you are saying does not make sense.

It makes a lot more sense than anything that you have said.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Try 200gr Accubonds and Retumbo. My Sako M-75 isn't the only 300 Ultra that this combo has shot very well in. 3 shots 200yds:

You can push them faster than I have them going here but in this case I can't think why I want to change anything.................DJ

Nice shooting dj!! thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubblejumper:
quote:
These groups are at 200yds not 100

And those 200 yard groups of yours are around 3" compared to my sub 1/2" groups fired at 100 yards.

quote:
.Almost any load and rifle combo shoots well at 100yds.

Regardless of what is posted on these and other forums,the vast majority of hunting rifles do not consistently shoot sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards with any loads.

quote:
What you are saying does not make sense.

It makes a lot more sense than anything that you have said.
My last group posted does not look like a 3 inch group,and it was shot using a 10X scope.Any new hunting rifle shot by a beginner will shoot half inch groups at 100yds.These are not calibers whose accuracy potential should be tested at 100 yds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My last group posted does not look like a 3 inch group,and it was shot using a 10X scope

And it is one group out of several.Your average is still far from impressive.

quote:
Any new hunting rifle shot by a beginner will shoot half inch groups at 100yds.

bsflag

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
"Any new hunting rifle shot by a beginner will shoot half inch groups at 100yds."

This is complete BS. I just had a REM 700 restocked and glass bedded because I could not get it to shoot under 1.75" at a 100 yards. It now shoots 3/4". The cheap plastic stock that it came with was warped and pressing against the side of the barrel.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vapodog:
quote:
Originally posted by stubblejumper:
quote:
Any new hunting rifle shot by a beginner will shoot half inch groups at 100yds.

bsflag

Strange....all of mine did.....but it seems they were shot out after about 100 rounds.

It don't matter however as I only shoot one round per year anyway!....unless I go caribou hunting and then I shoot two.
Vapodog,where do you go caribou hunting? Which cartridge shot out after 100rds? One round per year?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC Roxby:
"Any new hunting rifle shot by a beginner will shoot half inch groups at 100yds."

This is complete BS. I just had a REM 700 restocked and glass bedded because I could not get it to shoot under 1.75" at a 100 yards. It now shoots 3/4". The cheap plastic stock that it came with was warped and pressing against the side of the side of the barrel.
DC Roxby,If they are making really cheap stocks nowadays then I'll take what I said back.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
These groups are at 200yds not 100.Almost any load and rifle combo shoots well at 100yds.POP,this is not the first rifle I had in which changing case brand reduced a group size at 200yds from in one case a foot to half an inch.I bed all my rifles myself with Glass BED and never had a problem with bedding.Have you used Rem cases with a factory BDL? What you are saying does not make sense.

I had 2 700's LSS factory
2 700 REM Senderos
2 SAKO 75 SS/Synthetic

all shot great with Remington cases.

Now you said from 1 foot to 1/2"????????

They must have been some jacked up cases! The only swap that I am aware that could cause this is a barrel swap!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP,I am sorry to say,but I believe you lack some shooting experience.The above group also went from a foot to half inch regardless of a three inch group with the same load posted earlier.That 3 inch group had opened up to a foot in size and I was worried that the Nosler cases would not do what Lapua cases did in a couple of my 300WM,and that is reduce the groups by a foot.I was extremely pleased when the Nosler cases worked.A big thank you to Nosler.This experience makes me believe this was the reason federal 300RUM cases were so popular at some time.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Sir:
I lack shooting experience because your findings are different than mine?

This is what the SAKO 300 RUM shot like at 300 yards.
92 gr RL25 200 gr accubond Rem brass 215M Fed caps.
3147 fps MV and .675" at 300 yards.

Please do not take this the wrong way. I am not submitting proof of my ability/experience. Just to show that results vary.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
POP,I am sorry to say,but I believe you lack some shooting experience.

POP, I'm going to have to agree with shootaway here. You completely lack experience shooting off at the mouth with complete Bovine Excrement like shootaway does. What POP says is usually completely factual and logical to understand.
Shootaway, I have no idea where your lousy attitude comes from or why you have such a chip on your shoulder. I've tried to talk to you in a helpful and serious manner but with me and others you continue to go back to rude and often completely stupid posts. Remember your claims of being a "shooting Ballerina".
If you want to be taken seriously here remember that you are talking to adults many of which have far more experience and knowledge than you do. Quit being such a jerk and maybe you'll learn something........................DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Strange....all of mine did.....but it seems they were shot out after about 100 rounds.

It don't matter however as I only shoot one round per year anyway!....unless I go caribou hunting and then I shoot two.

Do I detect just a hint of sarcasm?And wasn't that 70 rounds? Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
djpaintles,you get upset over nothing.To say it differently,I simply do not believe POP got the groups he said he did with Remington cases.I don't believe you got that group with Remington cases also.In this case I do not feel I said anything wrong.POP says he has never experienced a group going from 1 foot to half an inch and I have experienced it with three rifles when cases were changed and everything else kept constant.Therefore I say that he lacks shooting experience.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did shoot the group posted above with Remington cases......................DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
djpaintles,you get upset over nothing.To say it differently,I simply do not believe POP got the groups he said he did with Remington cases.I don't believe you got that group with Remington cases also.In this case I do not feel I said anything wrong.

Now why would anyone get upset just because someone is accusing them of lying? Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey shootaway, What in the world are you doing to yourself? The people you are giving a hard time are fairly knowledgeable Reloaders that have a lot of experience. (Well, maybe not dj... rotflmo)

I'd think you would be interested in knowing how many of those "1shots/yr - 100yr barrels" Vapo has worn out!
-----

Looks like everyone can out shoot me. popcorn

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I entered these forums a few years ago thinking that I new nothing compared to most here and that was true in many forums,but when it came down to shooting for accuracy I found that I knew MORE THAN ANYONE.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I entered these forums a few years ago thinking that I new nothing compared to most here and that was true in many forums,but when it came down to shooting for accuracy I found that I knew MORE THAN ANYONE.

thumbdown Everytime I think you have reached a new low in your posting, you amaze me by surpassing your previous nadir...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about him, Charles, I'm sure that he's only here because his WoW account was banned for buying gold.

Wink

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vapodog has worn them out in his dreams.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway has driven me a bit crazy in the past too.....but sometimes his stubborness and boldness makes me smile....he is definately out in "right field" and you won't make him go away!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
rotflmo

Hey shootaway, Any chance you are related to "denton"? He was always good for a few grins too.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
.......I simply do not believe POP got the groups he said he did with Remington cases.I don't believe you got that group with Remington cases.

I am not arguing with you Shootaway. I just respectfully request you consider the following.
When the 300 RUM was first introduced it took a long time for companies to get brass out for us handloaders. Included in this was Remington who introduced this chambering. So Remington was the only brass available..... and it was barely available. Either way some of the famous gun builders began raving about its accuracy potential(ask Bobby Hart) and many many handloaders (like me) were getting sub-moa with factory Remington guns and yes...Rem brass because nothing else was available. Even the factory 180 Sciroccos shot under 1.5" at 200 yards out of my stock 700 LSS.
And now you state that you do not believe my findings? Think about that man.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shootaway has driven me a bit crazy in the past too.....but sometimes his stubborness and boldness makes me smile....he is definately out in "right field" and you won't make him go away!

At first I was amazed at the arrogance he displayed,but then I saw that he lives in Quebec and his attitude is quite typical for where he lives.