New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Weatherby need help with RELOADING
 Login/Join

<kkeller>
posted
I have been trying to reload my 300 Wby and can NOT get it to shoot it less than a 2 inch group. The factory 165 grain Wby loads are shooting less than a 3/4 inch group. I have tried 165 grain ballistic tips and 165 grain swift sirrocco's. I have tried these with various combinations of the following powders IMR -4831, H-4831, and H-1000. I have followed standard case preparation and only neck size.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on what I can try?

Thanks,

Karl

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since Wby ammo has Hornady bullets in it, why not try some 165 gr Flat Base Hornadys with Reloder 22 or 25 powder with Fed 215 primers.

Then you are putting it back together like it came apart.

Maybe yur gun does not like BT bullets.

------------------
May I be half the man my dog thinks I am.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have been having trouble achieving the velocity/accuracy of factory Wby rounds in my 300 Wby. I usually can get below 1.5" but with factory I get sub 0.75". Other people that I have spoken to about this problem have found that their Wby rifles prefer flat-based bullets. I however, have yet to see any improvement. The best loads that I have had are from Ballistic Silver Tips using IMR4831. Off hand, I don't remember what the powder charge was.
Good luck solving this problem,
Shawn

Posts: 57 | Location: Mesa, AZ. | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
I own three wbys, and they all like the flat base bullets better then the boatatils. They also like to be loaded hot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if a bullet long enough to leave a caliber length (preferably) bearing in the neck and seated to just off the rifling wouldn't help a bunch? It sounds to me as though the boattail might be causing pitching (pointing off course) in the freebore before the bullet touches the rifling.

Do Weatherby chambers still have the long freebore? You could prevent pitching by using a long bullet seated to just off the rifling, and if you're only after group size, the Sierra 220gr HPBT might be the place to start.

Are your dies okay? Have you checked the runout? A bad set of dies might be your problem.

Posts: 264 | Location: Grand Prairie, TX, USA | Registered: 17 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try IMR7828 powder it works fantastic in my rifle, with 85.0 grs I get 3,240fps with a 180gr Nosler Partition or Ballistic Tip bullet (( 86.0grs gave me 3300fps but 85.0 was more accurate )). Plus it is very accurate,I also use Federal 215 primers. I also had great results with Hornady 180gr #3070 bullets..

Good Luck!! )

Posts: 193 | Location: AR | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T300WbyMag:
Try IMR7828 powder it works fantastic in my rifle, with 85.0 grs I get 3,240fps with a 180gr Nosler Partition or Ballistic Tip bullet (( 86.0grs gave me 3300fps but 85.0 was more accurate )). Plus it is very accurate,I also use Federal 215 primers. I also had great results with Hornady 180gr #3070 bullets..

I second this recommendation. IMR 7828 is the best powder I've found for my 300 Wby also. (Rem 700 with 24 in. barrel) 86 gr. of 7828 gives me 3200+ f.p.s. with 180 gr bullets, and 83 gr. gives me 3000+ with 200 gr. ones. That's with Remington or Weatherby brass and Fed. 215 primers. Those loads are definitely hot, but they are safe in my rifle. IMR 7828 is also the most accurate powder I've found.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<kkeller>
posted
THANKS FOR YOUR IMPUT.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
RL-22 From 77.9 grains to 87.6 grains - Federal 215 Primer

http://stevespages.com/page8c.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
IMR 7828 gives me good results also and is my main powder for the .300 Weatherby. I've also had great luck with 87 grains of H1000 and 165 grain Hornady SST bullets. This load is well below max at about 3035fps, but accuracy has been fantastic. I've managed to shoot several quarter inch groups (3 shots) with this load in my Sako 75.

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I'm gonna put another vote in for 7828!
My jap built 300 wby loves 180 xbts at about 3250. It only shoots 1.5" at 100 yds but does nice round 3-3.5" 5 shot groups at 300 yds with that same load. Thats about as good as I can shoot--the gun/load might be even better!

<Santa Claus>
posted
As someone who has quite a few 300wby's. If it will not shoot 84-85grns of Imr7828 with 180grn Sierra Prohunters....Rebarrel it...

<kkeller>
posted
Just wanted to let ya'll know I trried the 165g Hornady and they shot about a 1 inch group with 93g of H1000. I will try and work up and down from there. I will also try 7828.
thanks for the help ands advise

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Luck kkeller!!!!!!! Please let us know how IMR7828 works out for you...

Take Care!

Posts: 193 | Location: AR | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote