Notify
Tools

Ballistic programs?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted
Hello,
I was wondering what the members thoughts are on ballistic programs like load from a disk,quickload and other such program are.which one to buy,which are the easiest to use?
Thanks
muskrat

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
In my opinion they are just a good reference point like a loading manual. They do allow you more options. I happen to have LoadTech. Simply because I was given a copy when I allowed them to add a couple of my wildcats. I've never used load from a Disk and have only played with Quickload. While Loadtech is very easy to use your ability to override is limited if I was spending my money I would look close at Quickload. Just remember they are just a reference to be used like a manual. Start low and work up.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quickload for me.. has more than saved me its cost in the price of powder i didn't spend.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39622 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quickload, gives good reference points but it is not the gospel of all reloading mauals. it is easy to use. bit spendy but what the heck it is just money huh? I appreciate it giving me burn rate comparisons, case capacities etc. supposedly about the top for software programs.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the fact that they are interactive and easily manipulated. That doesn't mean they are the be all and end all of handloading, and they sure as hell don't replace common sense and safe reloading practices.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Quickload; I have the 3.2 version (the last one) and even if it's not the Bible, I've found it really useful and I like it very much.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Have Load from A Disk, QuickLoad, and RCBS.LOAD. RCBS.LOAD is good to keep track of your loads and has all of the "standard" stuff, like external ballistic calculator, and some of the powder manufacturers’ books… and you can “buy†books to install… I like it a lot. Load From A Disk is easy to use but you are limited to what ever powders have been “chosen†for your load by the programmer. Quick Load had every powder and bullet combo you can think og but no way to keep track of loads and some of their Load combo’s don’t match any book I have seen. I I were to do it again I would just get RCBS.LOAD and be done with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quick Load is VERY informative and well made. I use and like it a lot.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote