Find
Notify
Tools

30 caliber black tip
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted
Years ago I bought a couple thousand of these that were "popped", a method of de-milling large amounts of obsolete ammo. I've shot a few and they work ok as plinking fodder.

They're a bit long when used in .308 cases because the core isn't quite as heavy as lead. I think they are 165 gr. but look more like a 180 or 200.

Anyway, I've heard they are harder on barrels than lead core bullets, while some people say they are fine.

Just wondering if anyone has any definitive information on whether or not they are hard on barrels?

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've dissected a couple. They are slightly magnetic, less so than some of the std 8x57 ball I've run across. The cupro nickel looked about the same as regular M-2 ball. I've shot quite a bit of it, hasn't seemed to hurt any thing.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you have armor piercers. they have a hard tungsten carbide core surrounded by a lead jacket surrounded by a cupro nickel jacket. 165 gr. usually the most accurate military bullet.caution should be exercised in that there is a cup at the rear of the bullet which has been known to fly backwards on impact on hard materials flying backwards into the shooters face

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I've dissected a couple. They are slightly magnetic, less so than some of the std 8x57 ball I've run across. The cupro nickel looked about the same as regular M-2 ball. I've shot quite a bit of it, hasn't seemed to hurt any thing.
Thanks for your reply.

quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
you have armor piercers. they have a hard tungsten carbide core surrounded by a lead jacket surrounded by a cupro nickel jacket.

A friend of mine is a machinest and actually sectioned one for me. He said the normal cutting tool just skated on it and he had to use a diamond cutter.

It seems that some people think that because the core is so hard that it translates into a harder overall bullet. I'm not sure if cupro-nickel is harder than pure copper, if these things are harder on barrels etc.

And fwiw, I've punched through some 1" plate with these. I'm sitting pretty far back from the targets.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
AP; the core is steel; they did not waste valuable Tungsten to shoot away; it is too scarce and valuable for tools during wartime. Just some very hard steel Jackets are cupro nickel, as are most US ammo jackets. None are pure copper. Yes, they will punch through a lot of steel plate; good to be far away as the jacket can come back.

Posts: 17274 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The AP bullets are not hard on barrels. This is because the hard steel core has lead around it which gives in the rifling under the jacket.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
You will not shoot out your barrel using these bullets as you will not be shooting all the thousands at the same time.
I have used these projectiles in matches for years as the core is lathe turned and the jacket swagged onto the AP core. They are very accurate.
163 grain is normal.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe from So. Cal.:
Years ago I bought a couple thousand of these that were "popped", a method of de-milling large amounts of obsolete ammo. I've shot a few and they work ok as plinking fodder.

They're a bit long when used in .308 cases because the core isn't quite as heavy as lead. I think they are 165 gr. but look more like a 180 or 200.

Anyway, I've heard they are harder on barrels than lead core bullets, while some people say they are fine.

Just wondering if anyone has any definitive information on whether or not they are hard on barrels?

I have a simple solution to be certain no damage is done to your barrels.

I'll pay the shipping and insurance for you to send them to me for proper disposal. dancing Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
I have a simple solution to be certain no damage is done to your barrels.

I'll pay the shipping and insurance for you to send them to me for proper disposal. dancing Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Made my day!