Find
Notify
Tools

450 400 3" bullet question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted
My double rifle has less than standard bore diameter. Right barrel is .404 and left barrel is .406. What diameter bullet would you guys use for this rifle?

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
406 is possible but damn unlikely..redo both barrels again, betting its .408...slugging a bore is tricky at best..if its .406 one of the reloading outfits has a bullet resizing die..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mke sure you are properly slugging the bores. Hawk Bullets offers custom bullet sizing if needed!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What make and year. Such small groove diameters for a new/ish DR would be unusual. I use Hornady .410s in everything. Never measured bores.

Posts: 17273 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unheard of in old doubles, .408, 410, 411 is all Ive heard about, seen a few mismeasured as measureing a bore slug can be tricky, most of the varibles if not all were in 450-400 3.25, the later 3" was most always 410 or .411..Just saying and anything is possible I suppose but very very unlikely..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
What make and year. Such small groove diameters for a new/ish DR would be unusual. I use Hornady .410s in everything. Never measured bores.

Westley Richards 1911. Local smith slugged the bores for me. I contacted David at Hawk-he said he may be able to custom make some bullets. We will see.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe have a bullet swaging die made for .405 and split the difference?

then you can use almost any 408/410/411 bullet you'd like to

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MileHighShooter:
maybe have a bullet swaging die made for .405 and split the difference?

then you can use almost any 408/410/411 bullet you'd like to

Mile, that is just what I did. David Corbin of Oregon is making me a .405 die. Hawk is going to do a short run of .405 bullets. I had to order 150 of them, but if they shoot well, should last me awhile.

Thank you guys for the input. Best, Tom

-Edward, duke of York

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would have gone with .406. Now you have one setup that will promote gas cutting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not that I know anything, but I have never seen a .450-400 with .406 barrels.

All of them have been .409-411.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No one has; I would get someone else to measure it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A second opinion is always a good idea, Just because some expert at WR measured is usually good, but not written in stone, He may have had a hangover or covid sounds like to me!! just saying if he is wrong its going to cost you an arm and a leg befoer its over...fixng something that ain't broke is costly.. faint

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone, for the input. I had Hawk bullets make me some .405 bullets and Corbin Mfg. of White City, Or. make some dies that will allow me to use other bullets after running them through his dies. As an aside, Wikipedia says that the 400 NE originally used .405 as "standard" diameter.

Best, Tom Van Diepen

-Edward, duke of York

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id suggest you have been duly warned, spent your hard erned money, and placed your trust in "Wicked pedia" , wish you the best..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120