New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varget for the 30-06?
 Login/Join

<TomJ>
posted
Have any good loads for Varget in the 30-06? How does Varget do with 180s?

<Reloader66>
posted
Tried Varget in my 06 and it did not like it.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Varget will work well with 150's or lighter bullets. It's a tad fast for anything heavier but might do OK with 165's. I've never tried it with them, but I think there may be better choices for them.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varget is a little fast for good results in that load. I get my best 180 grain performance from H4350 or RL22.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
I've had good results with H4350, RL-19 and RL-22 with 180gr bullets in the '06. Varget might be okay with the 130-150gr bullets.
sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried it in my Springfield with 168s. results were mediocre. Groups about 1/2 inch wide and 2inches tall. Like it in the 30/40 Krag. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
Bill Leeper: just wondering if you ever worked for telephone company in Salmon Arm? As far as varget goes, tried in the '06 and I'm of the same opinion as most of the others; a little fast for anything over 150gr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope. When I was in that part of the country I was gunsmithing in Kamloops. Prior to that sawmilling in Barriere. I can barely use a phone. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I just picked up one of Ken Waters "pet" loads for 30-06. Interesting enough he found fantastic accuracy and about 2600 fps with RL 15 and 180 grains. RE15 and Varget are a pretty close twin in burn rate. I'd say if you are looking for an accuracy load and are happy with that velocity AND you got some varget and some 180;s laying around why not load up 5-10 of 'em and see if your gun likes them---STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED!