New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR3031 in 458WM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone loaded their 458Win with 73grs IMR3031 with a 500gr FMJ? Most data I can find lists max loads at 70.1grs. Any Shot You Want lists max load as 73grs, quite a lot more. I wonder if the pressures would be safe as it would be a very compressed load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As with any new loads start low work up.

each rifle is a bit different.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks will do that. Got as far as 71grs in the past without any signs of high pressure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer lists 71 grains as a compressed load. My Lyman #45 manual lists 69 grains as a compressed charge. My 1971 Pacific Manual lists 72 as a maximum. Hornady has shown 72.2 grains as a maximum from 1971 to 1991.
That is probably why you do not see many recommendations for heavier charge weights.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help, will slowly work up and see. Those loads don't leave much room for bullet seating. Have to tap the case when adding powder. Quite a struggle to seat down to the cannelure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jac:
Thanks for your help, will slowly work up and see. Those loads don't leave much room for bullet seating. Have to tap the case when adding powder. Quite a struggle to seat down to the cannelure.

You might touch the charged case against an electric razor or hair clippers to settle the powder.

Different reloading dies size the case more or less too.
WW brass is often lighter and has a greater capacity than some other brands.
Then you can also "neck size" the case only to the seating depth if you are just playing around with what kind of pressure you get with the top loads. I would not advise hunting with neck sized cases if the varmint you are after requires a 500 grain bullet.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried 73 grains of 3031, but I can tell you from experience that 66.0 grains of 3031 behind any good 500 or 510 grain bullet is a more than adequate killer. And it doesn't kill on both ends.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Yes, IMR 3031, around forever and then some...... I managed 72/IMR 3031 to 2253 fps at 58014 PSI (with 450 gr bullet).... One could bump a little, but it is a good load.......

Just FYI.... Both 458 Lott and 458 Winchester are 24 inch barrels...... In 458 Lott I am using Hornady Brass... 458 Winchester I am using Winchester Brass..... Fed 215s throughout all the tests......

Now, as we progress, and I have most of the load data complete that I am going to do, then we might try some loads with different brass and different primers just to see what we get, but that will be after all major data is completed.

Ran 3rd generation loads with the 370s and 295s in 458 Winchester today.. There will be a 4th generation on several loads, but not likely to be a 5th, I will be close to top end on the 4th I think. Then I will start with other bullets and just work my way through it........

I did some more 458 Lott data....... H-4895 came in, did some work with it today, added more to the 420 NonCons and 450 North Forks too...... The 480 #13 Solid with 77/H-4895 2304 fps 59661 PSI..... Currently working on the 450s and H-4895......

For me, Lott or Winchester, these 450s are all one would ever need. I would not even bother with heavier bullets in either cartridge.....

Much more to come............ Maybe first of the week I will have enough to do an upload to the B&M site...........

M

Go to this thread for more info.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comments. Mine is a Mod 70 with 22" Barrels. With 71grs 3031 I got 2075 fps and 2054fps with 70.1grs. Using Rem 500gr FMJ's & Rem cases not sure of the primers but I would imagine they are Rem 9 1/2's. I guess 2075fps is not bad from 22" Barrels but an extra 50fps wouldn't go a miss. Gonna try a load of Speer African Grand Slam 500grs, F215 Match primers, and Rem or WW cases. Only have access to a can of IMR3031 and South African Somchem S321 Ball powder so have to make do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
70.2 IMR 3031 with 500gn. Hornady bullets has been my "go-to" load for the .458 Win Mag for a long time. Never had a problem. The critters hit with that load didn't stand around looking like they needed anymore either. I mounted a low power scope on my Rem. 700 (with a .45 caliber Douglas bbl.) for test purposes, got "big ragged hole"/cloverleaf groups off the bench at 100 yds.
Others experience may differ, but that's been mine.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats good to hear. I think mine with shorter barrels I'm sacrificing a bit of velocity. I should think +/- 2100 fps will be a good all rounder. Thanks for sharing.