Find
Notify
Tools

Ceramic Media
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
Is anyone using the 'new' ceramic madia advertised by Cabala's.? It supposed to clean brass better than new!
Can it be used in a normal say Lyman vibratory cleaner?

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just asked Lyman about that the other day. I understood that it is used with Moly when coating bullets.

A thought... What will happen if ceramic dust gets in the barrel??

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at commercial polishing media and the ceramic compound is available from an abrasives supplier as well as coated corncob and tuffnut at a fraction of the price from Lyman.
What was mentioned from the supplier was small PVC chips coated with aluminium oxide (600 grit) that will polish non-ferrous metals to a mirror finish without leaving AlO2 dust.
What I don't know is if any of these compounds have been tried before in a vibratory cleaner.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used ceramic media for some time now and it is great. I use it with distilled water and an acidic detergent. Cases are better than new. The ceramic media looks like little chunks of sausage cut on a bias. Try it, you'll like it, as it polishes primer pockets reasonably well and will do the inside of straight-walled cases, too.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geo, what brand of tumbler do you use?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry it took so long to get back, but I lost track of the thread. My tumbler is the big Dillon. I can do roughly 1000 or a little more .45 ACP cases at a time. I do have a Midway vibrator setup for applying moly and an RCBS tumbler type for moly coating. The Dillon has only one small problem and that is the bowl does not recurve towards the center at the top.

The big Thumlers tumbler is the best I have ever seen. It lasts a long time (vibrators tend to self-destruct)--a buddy who redoes once fired cases for sale uses them and they are the best. In addition, the Thumlers has a recurved bowl at the top and that materially aids in the circulation of the brass and media and makes it more effective and works faster. Thumlers are expensive, but you gets what you pays for. Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote