Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5477 Powder
 Login/Join

posted
Any users of this powder notice unburn powder left in barrel when rifle shooting.
i use this powder for a cast lead bullet of 249grs. RNFP in the 38/55 H&R Target model with a 26 inch barrel. The load i am using shoots very well at 100 yards but i have to run a dry patch down the bore after the fourth shot or i will get a flier.Once cleaned it will go back into the same group.I really don't want to crimp these reloads due to the brass is very costly and hard to come buy.Thought of using magnum primers. Your thoughts Please.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting easily 50 rounds a time with a Shilen barreled 45/70 Martini Henry. Been using commerical cast bullets and AA5744, WLR primers. No problems with flyers. Sure I have powder particles, does not seem to cause any problems.

Cannot explain your problem, go chronograph your loads, try different lubes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 5744 in my .45-120 H&R Buffalo Classic, doesn't burn as clean as H4895, but have shot 50-60 rounds without cleaning and have no problems with accuracy with either gas checked cast or jacketed.

Btw, if you have an H&R 38-55 Target, it has a 28" barrel, unless someone has cut it down. I have one that I had rechambered and rebored to .405 Winchester. Cool

Tim

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Slamfire and wrongtarget. Thank you for your response. BTW wrongtarget your right about barrel length, I too have a Martni in 45/70 and this powder shoots very well in that also. Never had to stop and clean between shooting session with the Martni. But I use a filler with this caliber.Maybe thats the answer to the 38/55 also.