Find
Notify
Tools

TTSX-First Blood
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted
I loaded up some of the new 140 gr. Barnes TTSX's for my 7mm-08 and headed to deer camp. I wanted to take a doe for the freezer this trip. I got on a nice mature doe. She was slightly quartering away from me at 75 yards. I took a lung shot. She jumped striaght up when I hit her, ran about 25 yards, and piled up.........in some cactus of course!

This is not much of a test, but it is animal #1 with the Tipped TSX's.

Here is the deer.

This is the bullet sized entrance wound.

Here are two shots of the exit wound. The lungs and half the heart were mush.

I am looking forward to trying these in my 7mm STW.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Bob-

Thanks for posting the results -- and congrats on filling the freezer.

I'm hoping the wind dies down this afternoon. If so, I plan of going out to try and put some meat in the freezer as well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Your shot placement is flawless. Glad to hear someone has got a kill under their belt with the new bullet. Thanks for the report and photos.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.

Congrats on some good eats.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Bob-What velocity were you shooting them at?

In 7mm, I have both the 120 and 140 grain TTSX sitting on my loading bench. I'm hoping to try them out over the Christmas holidays.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had very similar results with the regular tripple shock. I was using a .257 100 grain and the Exit on a smalish mule deer buck was about the same.
This one stood stock still for about 2 seconds , then jumped about 5 feet strait up , hit the ground spun around once a died.
I shoot the 160 grain in my stw and would love to get a shot at a bull elk with it.
But I am begining to belive elk are a mythical best like the Unicorn.
And those I allways think I see when I am hunting deer are probably holograms projected buy the guys in the black helicopters.
...tj3006 By the way that is a very prety rifle ! is it a custom ? or mabye a Kimber ?

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the pic of the hole.
We don't get that on VS channel.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob, Congratulations! I agree with both Doc(and you) on your choice of Bullet placement. Exiting a Shoulder is always good for a quick clean Kill.

Was there much Blood Shot meat?

Continued good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I only tried 2 loads initially at the range. The load using 46.5 grs. of Big Game and CCI BR-2's shot .75", so I loaded up a few of these to take the doe with. They are shooting at 2800 fps.

Here is a shot of the offside shoulder damage. It is not bad. The photo is not the best, but as you can see, there is a about a 3" circle of meat taken out. You can see where it went throught the bone. So far, with this little "first" test I am impressed.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Excellent info, thanks for posting.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good intel Bob, but the important thing--where did you purchase the bullets!

I got some .30 cals from Midway, I'll have to go take a peek and see if the 7 cals are in, and hopefully the .270's!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Midway has them in and so does Sportmans Warehouse.........

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob, more projectiles in the post!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I saw both 120's and 140's at sportsman's whare house in Casper as well as at the Cabela's stores in Sidney, NE. Hammond, IN. & Dundee MI.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a gorgeous shot, picture perfect. Glad to see the bullet held up it's end of the deal!

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Nice shot!

Does anyone have the BC on these? 120's out of the 7mm STW would be 3600+ fps, but it won't matter if they drain velocity real fast.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the after action report.

Have a Great Day and God Bless

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Tyler,

They don't have the BC's on them yet as of this past week. I have been keeping in touch with Ty at Barnes.

Bob

One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
Is there anyone with experience on bigger game yet?

A guy on my hunting team uses a 6,5*55 and I want to supply him with ammo after a less than ideal experience last fall. He wont change gun so he'll need better bullets.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very interested in the loads you guys are working on for your 7MM STW. I have a gunsmith tweaked Rem 700 Sendero and it likes the factory Federal loads of 160gr Accubonds. If the stars align, I've even shot ace of clubs groups at 100 yds with those same loads. Prior to my building a house and other excuses for not reloading, I had success with Barnes X 175gr and H4831sc. My wife and I are going to RSA in August. I'm interested in info of how the 160 graccubond performs on african plains game vs. Barnes TSX 160gr. The last animal I shot with my 175 gr BarnesX load was a moose at 50 yds, he walked 10yds and fell over.Broke both shoulders and stayed inside the hide off, shoulder. Last fall, I shot my first elk with the 160gr factory federal load, at 100 yds just behind the shoulders. Complete pass through, broke a rib on side, wobbled 75yds and died.
Any assistance provided would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 132 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote