New
Find
Notify
Tools

two resizing questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've just ordered a 7mm-08 and now need dies.
I already have a FL set for .308win though I prefer to neck size only most of the time.

So when needed, can I use the .308win FL die to push the shoulder back on 7mm-08 cases if I remove the expander plug?
Or will that tiny bit of brass that doesn't get sized cause problems?

Can I neck .308win brass to 7mm-08 in a neck sizer die?
That way I get away with just buying a neck dies set for the 7mm-08 and can use the .308FL dies I already have!
Isn't reloading supposed to be about saving money ?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Isn't reloading supposed to be about saving money

Yup! About the same getting married to save all the money you were blowing on whores and dating!
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
You CAN set the shoulder back the way you describe. The area that isn't in contact with the die goes right back with the rest of the shoulder. I forget what cartidges I use the Redding S dies on, much the same way you describe. I use it with different bushings even though there is a gap in a small area of the shoulder near the neck.

And, yes, you can neck down your 308 brass to 7-08 in your neck die. The only problem will depend on your 7-08 die. When you pressure the neck down you could get a slight bulge in the body of the brass which might make chambering difficult. Lube up the necks well and you may not have any problem, again depending on your neck die.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express

Something to consider before you get the dies; A full length die, which supports the body as it sizes the neck is the only way to control runout in the neck, or to correct it if you develop serious preoblems with it. That's why I quit neck sizing and buy the FL bushing dies. The competition "sleeved" neck die of Redding's "should" control it, depending on how well the sleeve is fitted, but I haven't tried them.

.001 - .002 bump on the shoulder each sizing and less than .001 RO makes me happy. When .003 RO turns to .005 RO just after neck sizing, it's enough to make you sick! Especially if all you have is a body die that WILL NOT correct it either! You check it, it happens. A case neck WILL develop RO as it expands in the thinner and/or softer areas upon firing. You run it through a neck only die and it exacerbates the RO... big time.

Food for thought...

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A new set of dies is around $25 (cheaper if you pick them up at eBay). I am not sure what you really gain from this process. There are a lot of ways to save $25 but this doesn't seem to be one of those.

I love to hear from the experts if there is any risk in this procedure. Again, I am not really an experienced reloader and maybe I can learn something from this.

Danny Boy

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote