THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our troops sniping at 2 miles--possible??
 Login/Join

<Rogue 6>
posted
Maybe this has already been discussed, I'll apologize now. As an Army Infantry Officer we discussed the 50 Cal alot. In Vietnam the Marine Corp was using alot of 50 Cal ammo. In order to reduce war cost the Pentagon said no more shooting personel with the M2. The urban legend is the 50 cal violates the Geneva convention, not true. It's all about "economy of force." I KNOW from experience that Scout/Snipers are not always the gods of the rifle range. They have good equiptment and good training. 400-600 meters is the ideal shot with the 308. The 50 Cal is 600- 1500. Two miles could happen but its more of an artilery adust for fire method. A 20x40 inch target in any wind condition at 2 miles is a hell of along way, even with a TOW missile system. An acquantance of mine got kills in Somolia and Bosnia with the Barrett. It's really not one-shot one-kill, its adjust for fire from a secured possition. Its closer to an afternoon on a dog town. A thousand meter shot with night vision at 2 in the morning on some poor guy taking a leak is closer to the truth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot for beers or coffe at 1000 and 2000 and off hand at 100 and 200 yards with Carlos Hathcock when we both were in San Antonio, texas....He sure was a good shot.

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carlos, was a human ransom rest. The Gunny had self control out the ying yang. And he did his best shooting when MS was just starting on him. Self control, not many can do that. That said, 2 mile shots with a rifle, thats doable, for the Army and Marines. If you know how those 800 gr .50 cal bullets fly and you know your drop and wind drift. It would be more of shooting at things like aircraft radars, communications and missles. One .50 cal round thru the hot sec on a Mig 29. Turns a 30 million dollar airplane into junk, with a 5 dollar cartridge. Thats the kind of thing they are doing over there. While marking targets for Jdam's.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote