New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apologies To Berger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just returned from a day long trip to Idaho Falls, Idaho. Among other things I "discovered" today, I think I owe an apolgy to the folks at Berger Bullets.
I love Berger Bullets and have used them for many, many years!
But they were hard and at times impossible to keep on hand or to find when needed to fill my components locker. I was always running out of them and spending money driving around and calling around trying to find them when I need them!
For some time I gave up and quit using them choosing to go with less accurate but more available bullets for my needs.
When I got my trio of 204 Ruger Rifles I saw that Bergers were available in 20 caliber and I began handloading with them.
They shot VERY well and were lethal on Varmints.
I used the 35 gr. Bergers to complete satisfaction with all three of my 204's.
Then I got to worrying about them "being available" for my full time needs.
Every Gunstore I frequented began handling the Sierra 20 caliber offerings and I decided to "jump ship"! I checked my Rifles and all of them shot the 32 gr. Sierra BlitzKings real well.
I decided this summer that I would buy the "every where available" Sierras and forsake the Bergers.
Today in Idaho Falls I did a bunch of gunny places and found the Bergers readily available there - its 145 miles each way but in SW Montana NOTHING is close!
I bought a bunch of Berger 20 caliber bullets AND they were the same price at one store as the Sierra BlitzKings!
And I bought 3 boxes of Berger 224 bullets in 52 grain "Varmint" configuration. I have two Rifles that LOVE these bullets!
So my purchases today were in a kind of "make up for" vein as well as filling my needs.
In a recent post here about something or other, I mentioned that I had given up on Bergers and gone to something else. So when I saw todays good selection of all manner of Berger Bullets I thought I had better publicly correct myself so others wouldn't be led astray by my previous post.
Thanks Berger for getting your fine bullets out there and more available to us!
And sorry for any harm previously done.
Long live Berger bullets!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
VG, your story is a story which many of us active shooters could relate so well to. I guess

I could only add an Amen!

clap

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bergers are readily available because Berger was bought out by a large bullet manufacturer!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG:

I don't know if this will help ya out... but it is suppose to be a good source from what I have heard from a few guys over at the range...

cheers
seafire
cheers

http://www.extremeaccuracy.net/224caliber.html

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Bergers are readily available because Berger was bought out by a large bullet manufacturer!
Peter.

Berger wasn't "bought out", they,(Walt Berger), sold the company to the company that has always made the J-4 jackets for Berger. The reason was because the main complaint from Berger customers was lack of availablility! The J-4 company has the capacity and know how to produce large quanities of bullets on automated machinery. Walt is still there as chief of research & developement. He is in the process of writing a reloading manual for ALL berger bullets!

Eric Stecker is Walt's grandson-in-law, and works at Berger. He replied to a post I made over on THR, about being envolved with a Berger bullet test for the NAHC. Field testing Berger VLD bullets as a hunting bullet!

VLD test

I'm snuffy over there, you can see the missinformation I threw out there, and how Eric straightened me out!

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizz: Thanks for your insights and observations.
That is interesting.
I have been wracking my brain and re-reading my loading log and I simply can not come up with an instance of a Berger bullet shooting "poorly" - in any of the many Rifles and calibers I have tried them in!
Long live the Berger line!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bergers aren't nearly as hard to get anymore. I have found Powder Valley to have a good supply and is less expensive than anyone I've seen. Plus, they have all the powder and primers I need.

Powder Valley

one of us
posted Hide Post
Soonerhak: Thanks for the link. I have saved it in my favorites.
I lokked over their prices and they are pretty competitive.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

posted Hide Post
Eric has announced that their goal is to have .277 caliber bullets released in time for the 2007 hunting season. Big Grin

Posts: 15 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 17 October 2006Reply With Quote