Find
Notify
Tools

Worst reloading press ever!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never broken anything with "Dillon" on it.

Cracked the handle on my first Dillon. Had a new one in hand in about three days, as I recall. Turns out I was exerting way more pressure than necessary to seat primers.

<jthessen>
posted
Diffrent tools for different fools.

Hell, what could be better than a Fontaine scope in weaver rings on top of a Norinco rifle, and load for it in Lee reloading equipment?

I am able to find loading gear from all manufacturers, after you buy the starting package, there�s no reason not to add from the different ones you like, preferably by trying it out first.

I can�t comment on the worst reloading press (I have not tried them all, don�t intend to either)

All the best

Jens

<LT3>
posted
I have 4 MEC Sizemaster 77 shotshell presses that I have reloaded tens of thousands of shotshells on and find that I have had NO problems, I spent months researching the metalic cartridge reloaders before I bought my Dillon 550B. The one reason I decided on it? I looked at a listing of the presses used by the top pistol competitors at the time, of the top ten, eight used Dillon. I have broken the primer feeder by stripping out the threads, Dillon replaced it and told me to not be so heavy handed with tightening, I haven't been and it has now been 5 years and no more problems. I use Dillon pistol dies, and Lee rifle dies, because I love the factory crimp die. I have never had a problem with any of them. I also have a RCBS Trimate, a Lyman Trimmer, and a Hornady scale. I also have several Forester dies, and a Lyman Universal decapping die.
It has been my experience that NONE of the companies set out to build JUNK, the lower priced stuff is NOT intended to take the abuse that it will get in some reloading operations, that is why it is cheaper.

Lou

<pallis>
posted
I started reloading 25 years ago with a Pacific C Press. It is still going strong. The handle broke after 23 years, and I replaced it with hardened all thread, a pipe and rubber bicycle handle. I figure it will go for another 25 years.

<KTS>
posted
I remember watching my dad handload ammo when I was a kid 30+ years ago I didnt know or care that he was using RCBS equipment.
Today I sit here looking at my loading bench and I see the same dies and tools that I seen back then and I think, I sure am glad he bought the stuff he did. (Some of the boxes still have the old price tags on them, WOW!)

Whats really remarkable is, if any of this stuff ever has something go wrong with it, RCBS will still fix or replace it, NO Charge.

There is worse equipment you can buy as I'm sure there is better equipment you can buy, but for mid priced, quality equipment with a no questions asked warranty RCBS is hard to beat.

Wes

------------------
http://ktsammo.250x.com

<JoeM>
posted
Johnny Ringo
If you are not sure reloading is for you then dont buy Lee. Bad tools can insure that you have a Bad experience and go no further.
If you have quality tools, and decide reloading is not for you, you can get most of your money back out of them, on the internet.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Jt,,lmao!Joe,Im with you.I do all my sizing[rifle] on a rockcrusher,,,Had it 10 years,same as the day I opened the box.I do everything else on my 7 y/o dillon 550,it too is the same as the day it came out of the box,,,no broken anything ever.And I've fed 1000's of cases through them both.I also agree with the load-all shotshell press comments,avoid it like the plauge,save your pennies for at least a used mec. I bought a used mec 650 at a yard sale,25 bucks,works flawlessly

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by denton:
The cast zinc toggle links on the Lee Challenger do break, and not from abuse, either. The solution costs $8. You buy the much stronger toggle links from the Progressive press ($3), and a new Progressive press handle ($5).

Sure wish I'd known this years ago. I can't tell you how many "Challenger" links I've replaced. I ordered the Pro 1000 parts you mentioned and I expect that should take care of things... permanently.

Thank you SO much.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote