Find
Notify
Tools

.22-250 reduced load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I am looking for the best powder to get a .22-250 to shoot some Barnes TSX 45 gr bullets around 2700 fps or so.

A load fro my kids to shoot some hogs and cull deer with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37751 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes14 grains of Blue Dot, with extreme care!!!! . beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
14 grains of Blue Dot, with extreme care!!!!

Does that mean 14 grs is dangerous or should I make dam sure that I am careful to get exactly 14 grs???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37751 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried the Blue Dot reduced load once in 22-250. Can't remember the exact charge, but gave velocity similar to 22 Hornet. The group at 100 yards was at least as good as a full power loads, maybe slightly better and not much muzzle blast. However it did shift the point of impact down 5 inches and left about 2.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I think about a reduced load for a rifle cartridge, I normally use either IMR Trail Boss or IMR 4759. The 4759 will give you more velocity than Trail Boss. I prefer using Trail Boss since it it kinda idiot proof....you can load any cartridge to base of where your bullet will be seated and be safe with it. For example, in my 30-06 1903 Springfield, put around 18 grs of trail boss in my reloads, with 125 grain jacketed bullets. Chronographed it once.....around 1400 fps. Check IMR/Hodgdon site or Speer manual for SR4759 load data for reduced loads.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am looking for about 2600 - 2800 fps. What about a reduced charge of IMR 4895?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about a reduced charge of IMR 4895

Hodgdon says take max load of H4895 and multiply it by .6. They show max for a 45 of 37 or 22.2 as the min load. QL call that around 2400. QL say around 25 for 2700 from a 24"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does that mean 14 grs is dangerous or should I make dam sure that I am careful to get exactly 14 grs???
I've used up to 18.5 grains with 40-grain bullets with no adverse effects, so 14 grains would be a 'moderate pressure' load. The "careful" part means to be certain you don't accidentally dump too much in the case. But then that applies to all reloading, doesn't it?

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
What about a reduced charge of IMR 4895

Hodgdon says take max load of H4895 and multiply it by .6. They show max for a 45 of 37 or 22.2 as the min load. QL call that around 2400. QL say around 25 for 2700 from a 24"

This would be my method as well.
I haven't used this in the 22/250 but in several other cartridges and it is very reliable and safe.
You will like the 45 grain TSX for the use you mentioned. My youngest son when he was 8 years old shot a smallish hog and a feral sheep with that bullet from a .223 at about 2700 fps, both one shot kills and no recovered bullets.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
18 grs of 4227 will get you there.
16 grs of 2400 is a tick slower but very accurate too.
and 22.5 grs of imr 4895 will be right at 2700.
those are some of my cast bullet loads I use for 2700 fps in a 22-250.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
That was a great info fishing post. Smiler everyone was sucked into it.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
quote:
I've used up to 18.5 grains with 40-grain bullets with no adverse effects, so 14 grains would be a 'moderate pressure' load. The "careful" part means to be certain you don't accidentally dump too much in the case. But then that applies to all reloading, doesn't it?

Roll EyesYes and maybe. Be careful not to throw a double load. shocker It will not over flow as would double loads of mostly used powders for that cartridge. You can quickly measure the powder height with a 3/16 dia. MARKED dole rod. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:

Not sure what you mean?
Someone asked for information, information was provided.
I thought that used to be what this sight was all about....

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
he wants load data and safe loads.
I don't care what he does with it he needs to do the load work up and the testing.
if he is close enough and sure enough of his shots I could care less if he wants to shoot water buffalo in the ear.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Roll EyesYes and maybe. Be careful not to throw a double load. shocker It will not over flow as would double loads of mostly used powders for that cartridge. You can quickly measure the powder height with a 3/16 dia. MARKED dole rod...
Actually, 37 grains of BlueDot will overflow my .22-250 cases as it is a ~55% case-filling load. Now if you wanted to use RedDot instead you might be able to get a triple load in the case....that would be a problem.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the help guys.

I am going to try the 4895 first. If I don't like what I get...will try the Blue-Dot.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom--One shot kills with a .223? You must not read much in here are you would know that is impossible. Sheep and hogs would just laugh at you.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ledvm---Wouldn't be good for culling deer or hogs, but cast bullets in a 22-250 would be great for a kid to shoot and work great on jackrabbits.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Lyman cast bullet manual and use the cast bullet powder charges

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
quote:
Roll EyesYes and maybe. Be careful not to throw a double load. shocker It will not over flow as would double loads of mostly used powders for that cartridge. You can quickly measure the powder height with a 3/16 dia. MARKED dole rod...
Actually, 37 grains of BlueDot will overflow my .22-250 cases as it is a ~55% case-filling load. Now if you wanted to use RedDot instead you might be able to get a triple load in the case....that would be a problem.

ConfusedIf the load is 14 grains X2 = 28 grains and is a good bit less than 37 grains and will not over flow. I don't understand the 55%. coffeeroger

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:

Not sure what you mean?
Someone asked for information, information was provided.
I thought that used to be what this sight was all about....

ledvm wants to use a high capacity 22 cartridge (22-250) to drive a solid copper bullet at a speed of 300 to 600 fps less than a 223 Remington with the same bullet.

He wants his kids to use that load to kill deer and hogs with.

With a bullet that has problems with expansion at less then normal book velocity.

We are not talking about target loads here, we are talking about hunting loads.

And you have no problem with that?

Hell, he might as will use solid Linotype cast bullets and save some money.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Where have you experienced 45 grain TSX's failing to open??
I haven't and I have actually loaded and shot them
have you?

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Here's some pictures of a happy kid who was using 45 grain TSX's going about 2700 or so fps.
Both one shot kills, no recovered bullets.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I haven't had a 45 grain, 22 caliber TSX bullet fail to open. I don't use 22 caliber bullets on game larger then a coyote and I don't download loading information. I have had one 7mm TSX pencil an elk. The elk still died very quickly, but it wasn't the classic ripping and shredding as Barnes advertizes.

What age is that kid? He doesn't look old enough to own a license. Who's he hunting for? Himself or to please his dad.

I can see your 2700 fps works on farm animals. Thanks for the photos.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Jeez what is your problem?
Really.

The boy was 8 when the photo was taken, he is old enough to have a license.
The kid is ate up with hunting and fishing and I can't take him enough, not like I'm dragging him along he wants to go more than I take him.

You've got a problem bud.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:

What age is that kid? He doesn't look old enough to own a license. Who's he hunting for? Himself or to please his dad.

You wanna say something bad about a kid hunting? How about you get a huge dose of reality?

Instead of talking shit about a kid hunting, why don't you take one hunting! Do something productive with your life, asshole! I'd take that kid hunting any day of the week versus some asshole like you!!!!

I bet that kid has more desire and tact in his little toe versus what you have in your whole body!!!!

Nice, taking the high road Snellstrom!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I have no problem. I'm just amazed at your reaction to anything I type. I'm sure we could have a good time with each other, if it was for the bad typing fingers.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
quote:

You wanna say something bad about a kid hunting? How about you get a huge dose of reality?

Instead of talking shit about a kid hunting, why don't you take one hunting! Do something productive with your life, asshole! I'd take that kid hunting any day of the week versus some asshole like you!!!!

I bet that kid has more desire and tact in his little toe versus what you have in your whole body!!!!

Nice, taking the high road Snellstrom!!!

Interesting post.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
exactly, why do you want to sling mud on a kid's face for hunting. Isn't that the whole goal, regardless if he/she uses the minimum caliber, BB gun, etc.?

Your post was tasteless and was not warranted.

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
exactly, why do you want to sling mud on a kid's face for hunting. Isn't that the whole goal, regardless if he/she uses the minimum caliber, BB gun, etc.?

Your post was tasteless and was not warranted.
What the hell did i say to sling mud on a kid? He looked 5 years old to me.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:

This! As I quoted in my first post.

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
And what the hell was so bad about what I said. i think we have a lot of mealy mouth liberals around here.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
This country is dieing to the sound of a whimper, and you worry about what some jerk named Mickincolo thinks about a kid and his dad?

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
And what the hell was so bad about what I said. i think we have a lot of mealy mouth liberals around here.

Really you don't think anything is wrong with your post>?
If you were face to face and said something deriding like that about my kid you'd be on your ass.
You can tear down a kid while hiding behind the computer, face to face you'd keep that liberal mouth clamped tight.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:

You're right there are a lot of liberals around here and the vast majority are in your neighborhood.

Who's he hunting for?
Does it really matter who the kid is hunting for as long as he/she is out there getting it done? I bet that kid was hunting for himself if you couldn't tell by the smile on his face. I've been around kids who didn't want to hunt and they certainly have a different smile. I've got a 4 yo son that is absolutely ate up with hunting and been on a couple hunts with me. If/when he takes his first animal, I can guarantee you that it'll be for him and not me. I took an 8 year old daughter of a buddy with me last year to Oklahoma to hunt. You couldn't have closed her mouth with a truckload of duct tape and she smacked a big ole doe! That young lady was on cloud nine and has already asked me if she could go again next year. And, that is what it's all about. Getting kids involved at a young age!

What age is that kid? Keep in mind there are several states that don't have as restictive hunting regulations regarding age that CO has, and one of them is right next door.

2700 fps on farm animals? Have you ever used a cartridge on small deer, hogs, sheep, etc. that are in the 2700 fps range? Or, is it a 7mm Mag for you or nothing. I've got a few guns in the safe that don't even come close to 2700 fps, but I bet they would work on said farm animals, or anything in the world for that matter.

Yep, I take it personally when someone says something derogatory about kids hunting, be it with a BB gun, 223, 7mm-08, etc in any setting, high fence, low fence, public land, private land, etc. shooting pigs, sparrows, prairie dogs, deer, elk, beer cans, etc.

Graybird

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
This country is dieing to the sound of a whimper, and you worry about what some jerk named Mickincolo thinks about a kid and his dad?

So, please enlighten me about what you're doing about it? The problem with CO is right in the area where you live!!!!!!!!!

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, please enlighten me about what you're doing about it? The problem with CO is right in the area where you live!!!!!!!!!

I vote, I have my one shot. I try to inform people but most people need a wake up call, it's to late by that time. It's over.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
What do you do?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:

You been drinking? WTF

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote