Notify
Tools

.22-250 reduced load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Who did you vote for?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
And what the hell was so bad about what I said. i think we have a lot of mealy mouth liberals around here.

Really you don't think anything is wrong with your post>?
If you were face to face and said something deriding like that about my kid you'd be on your ass.
You can tear down a kid while hiding behind the computer, face to face you'd keep that liberal mouth clamped tight.

I'm tearing down you not your kid. I think you're starting your kid to young. Hell you may drive him to join PETA in the long run. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm tearing down you not your kid. I think you're starting your kid to young.

I know Snells son and have spent time hunting with him.

He has a genuine interest and talent in hunting and shooting.....he aint a bad wrestler either

MickinColo you are possibly FOS

But 100% without a doubt wrong

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
It looks like a good time.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
As to the original comment about a solid copper bullet at those velocity. Wouldn't be my first choice but that is me.

As to when to take you child hunting depends on the child. My oldest son was not into hunting. Pretty much forced him to tag along when he turned 13 or 14. He spent most of his time on the 3 wheeler (shows how long ago that was).

Youngest son was just the opposite. He begged to go. We spent hours with the red ryder in the back yard. I decided he would go when he turned 9 or 10. Only problem is he died at age 7. I would give anything I owned to have the memories and times Snells already has.

If he/she wants to go and can only sit in a blind with you don't miss those chances. You don't know what tomorrow will bring.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

What age is that kid? He doesn't look old enough to own a license. Who's he hunting for? Himself or to please his dad.

I can see your 2700 fps works on farm animals. Thanks for the photos.

You been drinking? WTF

Ted, what's wrong with what I asked?

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I offend so many people here with my opinion about kids and what age I think they should or shouldn't start hunting.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
You took 3 shots

The age Snellstrom chose to take his son on his first hunting trip.....a talking point.....maybe

You asked Snellstrom if he was doing this for himself or his son.....and the farm animal jab

I saw the last two as insults to the father and it's Snellstrom you insulted not me.

I wont even tell you how old my children were when they started in the shooting sports
or what rifle cartridge they used first on deer

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
You asked Snellstrom if he was doing this for himself or his son

Sorry, but that's always a question. The farm animal statement was a low comment but I didn't post pictures of dead Non-indigenous goats and pigs.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Those animals were killed in Texas

Being nice is a choice....I choose to move on

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being nice is a choice....I choose to move on

+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, now that y'all got that out of your systems, back to the OP's topic....

quote:
ConfusedIf the load is 14 grains X2 = 28 grains and is a good bit less than 37 grains and will not over flow. I don't understand the 55%.
And it is no wonder. When I pasted my comments into the window I lost a couple lines of text. What I meant to post was that I when I load with BlueDot I choose to use loads near but still below the maximum level. 18.5 grains is what I prefer to use in the .22-250 with 40 grain bullets to reduce the risk so often mentioned. You cannot double-charge that load since the .22-250 case only holds 32 grains of BlueDot. 37 grains (18.5 x 2) will overflow the neck because 18.5 grains is 55% of the case volume. Sorry for the confusion, I should have read my post immediately after it showed up in the thread. Frowner

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
All I got to say is this: see what a 45 gr TSX does a 2700 feet per second BEFORE you say it won't open!

I started hunting on my own at 9. With my Dad at 6.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
One other thing Mick, I would rather have a bullet penetrate than blow up on the shoulder blade. My whole goal with using TSX is penetration. 45 gr TSX going 2700 fps will shoot through most deer thoraxes.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
One other thing Mick, I would rather have a bullet penetrate than blow up on the shoulder blade. My whole goal with using TSX is penetration. 45 gr TSX going 2700 fps will shoot through most deer thoraxes.

tu2

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
quote:
And what the hell was so bad about what I said. i think we have a lot of mealy mouth liberals around here.

You're right there are a lot of liberals around here and the vast majority are in your neighborhood.

Who's he hunting for?
Does it really matter who the kid is hunting for as long as he/she is out there getting it done? I bet that kid was hunting for himself if you couldn't tell by the smile on his face. I've been around kids who didn't want to hunt and they certainly have a different smile. I've got a 4 yo son that is absolutely ate up with hunting and been on a couple hunts with me. If/when he takes his first animal, I can guarantee you that it'll be for him and not me. I took an 8 year old daughter of a buddy with me last year to Oklahoma to hunt. You couldn't have closed her mouth with a truckload of duct tape and she smacked a big ole doe! That young lady was on cloud nine and has already asked me if she could go again next year. And, that is what it's all about. Getting kids involved at a young age!

What age is that kid? Keep in mind there are several states that don't have as restictive hunting regulations regarding age that CO has, and one of them is right next door.

2700 fps on farm animals? Have you ever used a cartridge on small deer, hogs, sheep, etc. that are in the 2700 fps range? Or, is it a 7mm Mag for you or nothing. I've got a few guns in the safe that don't even come close to 2700 fps, but I bet they would work on said farm animals, or anything in the world for that matter.

Yep, I take it personally when someone says something derogatory about kids hunting, be it with a BB gun, 223, 7mm-08, etc in any setting, high fence, low fence, public land, private land, etc. shooting pigs, sparrows, prairie dogs, deer, elk, beer cans, etc.

She was actually nine but the rest is accurate. Glad you were there for her buddy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom--It would be worth whatever the cost to see that look on the boy's face. Who is he hunting for?? Take a real idiot to not figure that one out. Are you telling us he didn't use a .300 magnum to take those animals?

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Just got around to working on the load. Started with Fed nickel plated brass, Rem 9 1/2 primers (the junk I just have) and put 25 gr of IMR-4895 under the 45 gr TSX and crimped in last groove with LFD.

Will chrono with next set...but dam...at 100 off poor rest shot 5 shot group < 1". Could almost watch the hole appear there was such little recoil.

Will report back with velocity.

J. Lane Easter, DVM