Find
Notify
Tools

300 Weatherby brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Weatherby/Norma - Remington - Hornady

How would you rank them as far as quality and longevity?

Just purchased a 300 Wby rifle and starting from scratch for components.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I've got a ton as well as dies, let me know what I can send you.

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pm sent
I already have RCBS dies
Thank you

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Those mentioned I would pick Norma.

I think Weatherby is made by Norma.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66986 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I still have some Rem. if you want to try them yourself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The worst brass I’ve ever used was a batch of Hornady .300 WBY. Starting loads resulted in smoked primer pockets. I’ve also used quite a bit of Weatherby and Remington and they’re both serviceable but the Remington did not holding up in the case necks as well. Most of this has been running a 200 gr Partition at ~3,030 fps which is stout but not Weatherby factory stout; the factory 200 gr partition load chrono’d around 3,070 fps out of my rifle(s)!

Peterson offers 300 Weatherby and may be worth trying out if you can find any.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Loose primer pockets are a condition that can arise from soft brass rather than excess pressure and cannot really be overcome, other than dropping the load back to the point where the pockets do not leak and primers seat firmly when reloading.
Of course this may result in 30.06 performance rather than 300 magnum performance.

On the other hand neck and or shoulder splits can easily be overcome with regular annealing, a relatively simple process to preserve and extend the life of brass.

RWS and Lapua brass have always been sort after for their quality and longevity properties, albeit erratic supplies, but I don't think 300 WBY brass is made by either brand.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby brass is made by Norma. These cases have more capacity than Rem Fed or other makes. Weigh your cases. For every 10 grs heavier your other brand cases are heavier than the Wby brass case capacity will be reduced by approx 1 gr of powder. So what is a max load in a Wby case will have excessive pressure in other brands of cases and your primer pockets will be loose in one or two firings.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the information. Found a pretty good price and ordered 200 Norma cases. That should last me more than a few years.