New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee or RCBS press?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a choice between the two. Which would you choose and why? (Single stage)

Thanks

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
i have one of each,and I thnk the rcbs is far better,but it cost 4 times as much.

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I think the CAST IRON Lee press is every bit as good as the RCBS. I have the Lee CAST IRON press and I am very satified.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Purchased a Lee Cast Classic after reading good reviews. The ram was dragging in the housing and had scratches from link pin hole burrs. After some disassembley, cleanup with emery cloth and oiling it is smooth, tight and aligns well. I may just have been unlucky and too hard headed to return it to Midway for replacement, but all in all it's still a good deal for the price. And it's big enough for magnums.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer an RCBS.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS because you get what you pay for plus superb support in the bargain. My rockchucker, made in 1972, had been stored for years and when recovered, my dirt bag ex-brother-in-law had used the ram for a hammer and buggered it up rendering it as useless as him. RCBS sent me a new one, no charge. Lee is ok, just not great.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You pay too much for the name w/ RCBS just like any other product you buy from any manufacturer.

Get the LEE.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
I have the Lee Classic Press and the RCBS Rockchucker. Even though the RCBS is built stronger and feels nicer, it doesn't do anything the Lee can't do and cost a lot more.

I've heard great things about the new Lee steel press, and it is still a lot cheaper than the Rockchucker.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I bought the LEE Classic a couple of months ago and I was very happy with the price and it works great. The priming arms are simple and ingenious. It is large enough for most anything up to 475 #2 Jeffery. I bought mine at Midway. Here is a link. Midway Lee Classic

As I remember it was $65 US shipped to me with NRA round up contribution. I think it is a great value in a single stage press. Just my opine.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just to throw in something most don't think of. Try looking at the forster bonazna press. Its really quite a work. Catches 100% of the old primers, you don't need to buy shellholders. etc. I can't think of anyone who has one that would trade it off on anything else on the market

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kelbro:

No question about it - RCBS. Lifetime warranty, great customer support. My attitude is that you get what you pay for. I've got a single stage Ammomaster - hell for stout to resize & load my .45-120 cases. I screwed up one of the 3 supports for the upper portion - entirely my fault. I contacted RCBS for a replacement and informed them to charge my credit card since the problem was entirely my fault. They sent me 3 brand new ones free. Pay your money once & be done with it. Bear in Fairbanks.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
RCBS

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you want to buy the cheapest that will work or the best value for the money?

Lee or RCBS...........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several presses, and have used cheep and expensive presses. The lee will do a very good job for you. Like many things, the "name" is what you pay for. In a single stage press, I think the lee will serve you very well.

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

Price is not an issue, quality and longevity are.

I prefer to buy something once. I don't want to 'upgrade' in the future. I typically wait until I can afford to buy the best. Spending the money up front is almost always cheaper in the long run than settling for something and then buying a 'better one' later.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I prefer to buy something once. I don't want to 'upgrade' in the future. I typically wait until I can afford to buy the best. Spending the money up front is almost always cheaper in the long run than settling for something and then buying a 'better one' later.

I use the same reasoning.I don't have to have the very best but if I need the equipment,it will be higher quality even if it does cost more.I hate buying the same thing twice.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks for the replies.

Price is not an issue, quality and longevity are.

If the price is not an issue, I would do as butchloc suggests and seriously consider the Bonanza Co-Ax press.
I don't own one myself, but I've tried one, and know that the day I'm buying a new press, It will be a co-ax.

Posts: 15 | Location: Tromso, Norway | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A post taken from another forum

Quote:

woodchopper

I have no life!

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:00 am Post subject: Broke my press

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its a sad day, I broke the linkage on my Lee Challanger press. I always thought that aluminum was a poor design. So I called up Lee and mailde the parts off to them to get replacement parts. I'll let you all know how it goes.

So 3 weeks off over Christmas and not enough ammo on hand. I guess I'll have to buy some now. I was working on a big batch of 308, 150grn spiters on milspec brass. It was once fired brass that I was full lenght sizing (with lube) when one on the cases was a hard extract. So I give it a little pull and the linkage went pop.

Hope Santa brings ammo for Christmas

My Favourite Animal is Steak

There is room for all God's creatures, on my plate next to the mashed potatoes

I have actually seen this happen a few times with this particular press.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
stumblejumper,

Don't kid yourself, the RCBSs break just as well .

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader, I'd bet there are 50 or more broken Lee Presses for every broken Rock Chucker.
I guess some fumble fingered weight lifting Gorilla could manage to break a Rock Chucker but he'd have to be trying.
I haven't broken a Lee Press yet because the one I had was simply too cheaply made to use for more than 10 minutes (I realize the new ones are much better than the one I had). But I have worn out or broken some other Lee Product. Lee Products are often extremely well designed but they are typically not very well made.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have mixed feelings about Lee. Certainly they give us afforable products helping to make it possible for many people to reload. They are to be congratulated for that. However, it seems they create their efficiency by using a lot of plastics and cast metals neither of which will give you the longevity of an RCBS Rockchucker. I'd go with RCBS, and their service, should you require it, is second to none. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Lee stuff - many don't. However, the press I would recommend is the RCBS Rockchucker. I've had the same press since the early 1970s and it is still as good as the day I bought it after loading untold thousands of rounds. There may be some presses out there just as good but I doubt there is anything better.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Reloader, I'd bet there are 50 or more broken Lee Presses for every broken Rock Chucker.
I guess some fumble fingered weight lifting Gorilla could manage to break a Rock Chucker but he'd have to be trying

I have to agree.I have never seen a broken rockchucker yet although most people that I know use them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
He must have broken that part twice,you flip it over and use the other side,then phone for replacements.clever engineering.The Factory Crimp dies on the Challenger press bust the pot metal links.A simple , cheap, unbreakable fix is to use the linkage off the 1000.

The whole reloading kit costs 2/3 the cost of the Rockchucker alone.

I bought the cast iron Classic and like it,but if it's not a money question get the Co-Ax,it's simply a more accurate.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently have a CO-AX press bolted to my bench, BUT I don't recommend it as the first or only press. There are some sets of dies that you can't use with it because dies that are too tall won't let the Y shaped handle go over them. The other thing to consider about the CO-AX is the expense of the lock rings, I've spent more on them than I did for the press when I got it. At $3-$5 each they add a good bit to the cost of every set of dies you want to use in the CO-AX.
I also don't like to use the CO-AX for pistol calibers. On a std single stage press you can lower the ram just below the die when using pistol and only have to use a short stroke on the handle. With the CO-AX you have to use the complete handle stroke each time to get the shell holder to release.
Obviously I use the CO-AX a good deal and like it for it's many strengths but I don't recommend it for someone's first or only press.........DJ

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Buy what you can afford and enjoy it - first press I started out with cost all of $9 (1958 prices) - from Herters - I modified the linkage and reinforced the web eventually - wish I still had it!!

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will replace the press that came with my Lee Anniversary Kit once it breaks, or perhaps after 1000 rounds have been loaded with it, which ever comes first. I have nearly 700 so far, all rifle cases.

Posts: 134 | Location: MO | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm actually surprised to hear as many good comments about the Lee as have been posted. I think the Lee is a good product for the money, it has steel linkage, it is much more comparable with the RCBS than with its Challenger stablemate. I have a Challenger, and have loaded several thousands of rounds with it, but mostly pistol cases in carbide dies. I do load for 45-70 and for 30-30, but the 30-30 I use the collet necksize die and it ain't like full length resizing at all. And nothing I do is like making 284 brass from 375 H&H cases.

If you are going to do silly gorilla shit to your press, then you can break anything. If you are reloading rifle or pistol cases in a single stage press, and doing it like someone who has a brain in their skull, either will last the user a long, long time.

I'd like to have the new Lee press, but frankly, I'd rather have the Lee turrent press. I had one of these in past and it was a great press for what I reload. I aim to have another one day.

I suggest to be clear and honest about what you want the press to do. The difference in cost can be a set of dies or two or some other goodies you need to to turn that empty hull into bright shiney reloaded brass with the big ones name on it

Posts: 409 | Location: Mentone. Alabama | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just getting into this reloading deal. When is the press stressed the most? Is it type of caliber? Type of bullet/load? I was going to buy a RCBS kit but if I can get the same performance and save some $$, I will. Most of my loading now will be .300 win mag. I would guess it would be about 75% .300 win and the rest .270win, and .243. Not to say I wouldn't like to buy a .338 or something a little larger. Thanks Chain

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy Cal, I'm a brother 6.5x55 owner who've conversed with you before over the net. I'm still working on the Rem Classic.
The Lee press is definitely not 'business as usual' for them. It is cast iron and built 'like a tank'. I've been using one for a while now and it's quite simply the best press I've ever had, and believe me I've had a truck load of them over the years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I started reloading in 1965. First major purchase was a Rock Chucker. Missed the last A10 at the store by a couple of hours. Was disappointed.

I now have Mecs for shotgun, a C&H progressive for pistol, a huge high production progressive made by a company that didn't survive, a Dillon 550b, and a Dillon 1050.

That same old Rock Chucker still loads the hunting ammo ... .308 Win, .308 Norma Mag, 300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag, 9.3x62, 9.3x74R, .375 H&H, .416 Rigby, and .470 NE.

Money is well spent on things that work for 40 years and still have no end of usefulness in sight.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was annoyed with another broken toggle link,I asked about presses,one fellow answered that he gone through them all, looking for one with the lest run out.Of the standard presses he bought,the best one was a Lymans.But he felt it was more a matter of luck than colour,he said they are all made to a tolerance of +/-.005".He thought the design of the Co-Ax was better,it self aliagned.

The toggle links on the Challenger are pot metal,certainlly way strong for any normal press work,including reforming cases.But when you use the Factory Crimp you bang against a stop.Being 6'1",you don't have to gorilla,to use it hard.

A large ram is going to be less sloppy,because the same clearance is going to be spread over a larger area.

A shorter opening is going to be more inline because because ram doesn't angle off.The trade-off is fitting the bullets in the longer cases .

Primers are messy and primer grit wears the ram.Some who use the Rockchucker, deprime on a modified Lee C-frame press.I blanked off the priming fixture slot on my Lee Classic with a piece of 1/4" keystock,the primer go right into the garbage bucket ,NOW.

The Lee Classic being the last press designed, benefits from the others.

The Lee Aniversary kit ,has for me, produced 3/8"s 5shot groups with 8x power scope and a factory 30.06.But I think the accuracy is in the rifle,bullets, and powder.In that order.I could never have afforded the RCBS supreme kit,which has the same funtions as the Lee Aniv.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new Lee Classic Cast press is very different from the old Challenger. Do not confuse them. The new Lee press is a very nice piece of work. If it makes you feel better to pay more, buy the new Lee, and send me the difference.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE THE OLD CHALLENGER PRESS:

The toggle links on the Challenger are made of zinc, and they do crack. The remedy is simple. Buy a pair of links for the Lee Progressive press, and a handle for the progressive press. Whole thing costs $11, $3 each for the links, and $5 for the new handle. They fit right on the old Challenger, and are far stronger. Once you make that modification, the Challenger will make all the ammo that you, your children and your grandchildren will ever want.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did that with my Challenger.The problem with doing that is you don't have a "reason" to buy the fancy new press.But,hey, I am a rifle loony,I don't need reasons.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I went with the Lee kit because I did not know how long I was going to carry this hobby. Now, I have no regrets with the equipment, and have spent much more on additional equipment, but nothing in the kit has broken or been replaced with something more robust. I have taken reloading much further than I ever envisioned, it has led to more shooting, more guns than I need, etc. But, If I dropped 250 initially on a starter kit and quickly decided this was a PITA, the 250 would have been more insult to injury, regardless if I could sell the stuff, that would just be more tasks I dont want to do. Now, if I was unhappy with the Lee kit, knowing how deep I am into reloading, I would not feel cheated if I had to spend the additional money on a better kit and simply treated the initial 70 bucks as a loss. I guess there are more ways a person can waste money besides buying items that break.

Posts: 134 | Location: MO | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
just to throw in something most don't think of. Try looking at the forster bonazna press. Its really quite a work. Catches 100% of the old primers, you don't need to buy shellholders. etc. I can't think of anyone who has one that would trade it off on anything else on the market

my shooting buddy bough one in the mid 70's and I bought a Rockchucker. The F-B works real well and he makes better ammo than me although I would never tell him that. At the time it was cheaper than my RC. Today the F-B is more.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I reloaded 1000's of rounds on my Lee classic from 218 mashburn to 458 Lott, and never had a problem. I did subsequently upgrade to a co-ax, and then when I got my 500 Jeffrey, got a rockchucker to handle the large dia dies.

I'd say if you feel the need to spend more than the Lee presses cost, then go co-ax, if not, save your $. The rockchucker is a big heavy press, but isn't made to higher precision than than a Lee, and won't make any better ammo.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been loading for a long time. I have a lyman press and a rockchucker, both single stage. I have loaded with a friend of mine who has a Lee Classic Cast and I would not hesitate to buy one.

Posts: 116 | Location: Eastport Maine | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee Clasic Cast press in a heart beat!! Less than $70 shipped from Cabelas...

Lee Classic Cast Press

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/leepress/index.asp

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
... a huge high production progressive made by a company that didn't survive...

Would that be a Star?

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote