New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee or RCBS press?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
How does the primer feed on the Lee Classic press work? Is it a similar setup to the Dillon or Rockchuker (with a preloaded tube) or do you manually place each primer into the arm?

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may be too late, but here is my 2c.

I like the RCBS press better than Lee. I think the Lee's ram is 2 piece. Overall, the RCBS would be better (established for a long time on the market, tells you something). But in real terms, either would be ok.

A cast iron "O" press is simple, strong tool. The Lee cast iron press is MUCH better than their challenger press.

I've had a RCBS Reloader special cast iron press, and used it for 20 years. Never a problem. I tried the RCBS Partner press, andn didn't like it. Too much play in the linkage.

I came across a Lyman Orange Crusher II (black powder coat), and I like it the best of all the presses I've used. Tight, smooth, comfortable handle, and VERY powerful mechanical advantage. I got rid of my other presses when I got the Lyman.

I had a Forster Coax. Supposed to be the best. It was as good as any. I didn't like that some of the dies I used didn't fit-or to be more specific, the lock rings were too thick to fit into the sliding die slot. I could've bought new locking nuts for all my dies, but since I had other presses, and wasn't imPRESSed with the Coax, I sold it.

A cast iron "O" press is a basic tool-can't really go wrong. I do like my Lyman II the best of the presses I have used.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Read the reviews at Midway, all positive cept for the last one by someone who doesn't know what he's talking about considering the linkage is all steel..

From Lee Precision...
quote:
A rigid cast iron frame, cast and machined with pride in the USA, baked powder finish and all steel linkage make this one of the most attractive and sturdy presses made.

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/applications/eproduc...ews?productid=317831

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been reloading for 27 years.I did use 2 Challenger presses. One for sizing and one for bullet-setting. The one for sizing broke the toggle link and have been replaced with a Classic Cast one.Works like a charm.
regards

Posts: 6 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 06 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone mentioned the RCBS reloader special, saying he had one for years without a problem.

He should have used it!

Problem one is the way the old primers are thrown all over.

Number two is rare, but on occation those old primers fall down the ejection slot and stick between the ram and the casting. It takes me quite a while to realize that a old primer got in the slot and jammed the ram.

Despite that I bought a rockchucker. It has the same problem with the old primers flying all over. I don't know if the ram would jam as I modified the primer ejection so the primers can't fall in the slot on the ram.

I think I read that the Lee cast press drops the old primers into the ram with an option to have a tube to a waste basket. Lee does this with their loadmaster and it works well on that press.

Some other presses handle primers quite well.

Oh, a question on priming was asked. Lee had an ad for a primer feed that would work on the cast press. I checked midway and the lee sight without finding it, so might not be available yet. It used lee's round tray with some flipper built in. It may have needed a manual tap to drop a new primer. It left me thinking I would prefer my lee hand primer.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I have the Lee Challenger Press that came in the Anniversary Kit. The press is a piece of crap. I have tried for nine years to break it and it still cranks out hundreds of rounds a year.
I thought for sure it would break right away so I could get one of those fancy green presses. No luck so far. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote