THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scientific way to figure out perfect loads?
 Login/Join

posted
Example: 10 300wm rifles with 26" barrels

Assumptions:
1. Same barrel volume
2. Same twist rate and contour
3. Floated and bedded same length

Is it safe to say that all of these guns would have the same (or close to the same) "perfect" load recipe?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. It might be possible, but very, very, and very unlikely.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While you can find a "decent" load that will proform OK in all of them (say 2moa at decent velocity), hell, the factory does that all the time.
You won't find "the one load" that is going to produce top velocity and (say) 1/2moa groups in all of them.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I thought if I bought 2 "identical" Win 70 300 win mags, the "optimal" loads would be almost identical. I stand corrected.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I had two Model 700 VSes and one liked the 52gr Sierra MKBT bullet and the other perferred the 53gr Sierra MK(flat based) bullet.
Not by a whole lot but enough that I keep a seperate supply of bullets for each one.
I think you could get a load that would be close enough for hunting purposes at normal distances and I think that you could even find a powder and a common bullet that would work among them. But, for their best work, I think each one would need some individual tweeking at least.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
load them between -.025 and -.035 and a middle load .. they'll shoot pretty decent .. unless barnesX type , then back it WAY off ...

not the best for any rifle, odds on, but should shoot okay, if they are ALL off the lands

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that every rifle has its own special load data. You just have to find what it likes and dislikes. It really depends on what you want out of your rifle.

Posts: 54 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 14 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who works in the Sherriff's department in a small town in Texas. They were all issued .308 Remingtons of some model. His and his buddy's serial #'s are separated by 10's. His shoots a totally different load than his buddy's for optimal accuracy.

posted Hide Post
So much for my "logic" Smiler Thanks as usual guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of these days you will wind up with two rifles in the same caliber. You can test your theory yourself and find out some loads will perform the same and others will not.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the answer to your question about "is there a scientific way to the perfect load" can best be answered by HC.

"The Never-improved upon Creighton-Audette Method"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it safe to say that all of these guns would have the same (or close to the same) "perfect" load recipe?

Not even close.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote