New
Find
Notify
Tools

.577 snyder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm after any advice on loading this old round. I need to know where or even if new cases can be found, are there dies available and where, what powders and loads are other reloaders using. Any help would be much appreciated in keeping this old warhorse barking

Regards
Rod

Posts: 29 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod,
Rebel Gun Works in Queensland
(Ph. 07 3391 6744, Fax 07 3391 8835) sell Bertram .577 Snyder brass for $6 each.
Cheers
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
Rod,

I also have a 577 Snyder. Old western scrounger has loaded ammo ($40.00 for 10 rds), brass (don't recall price), and can order the dies. Dies were over $300, and I think 4-6 months wait. Needless to say, I haven't shot mine either.

(www.snowcrest.net/oldwest/index2.html)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Over on the Gun and Knife forums there is a new Snider Board. There has been an ongoing thread on your subject.
Jim Goodwin at NDFS has turned Boxer primed brass and dies.
OWS is using CBC Berdan brass 24ga shotshells. CBC hulls are about $22.00 for 25. Primers about $3.00 per hundred. These are shotgun primers and a bit soft for rifle pressures if the firing pin is a little sloppy, as is not uncommon in older guns.
Coyot� fired 15 rounds on the air yesterday and reported on the Snider Forum. (Loads etc.)
OWS, Huntington and others sell Bertram drawn Boxer primed cases for an arm and a leg.{$82.98 per 20}
Keep a retired gun active or it will wither and die.
Regards from retired Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
577 Snyder brass can be ordered right out of the Cabella's handloading catalog, and it is reasonably priced. I can't give the price right now as I don't have my catalog handy, but I think you will be pleasantly suprised, because it is far under the prices quoted to you here.
www.cabelas.com

Click on Remington brass, then go down the side bar list to "black powder obsolete brass". The price is $59.99 USD per 20 round box.
------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 09-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 09-25-2001).]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I am currently without a Snider, much to my chagrin, but I had a Mark III that was lots of fun to shoot. I had cases from both Ballard and NDFS, and a set of NDFS dies. But the NDFS source is in question just now, owing to meddling by British Customs. See the discussion on the gunandknife.com Snider or Martini boards for more on this.
CH4D lists .577 Snider dies at $120 the set, but be sure to check that they are 7/8X14, as the NDFS dies are.
Best advice I ever got for this cartridge was from James at NDFS, which was: don't be fooled trying to use a .577 bullet. You need a .590 or larger, and RCBS has a great bullet mould just for the Snider, but you have to ask for it. Coyote also has moulds, but I am not sure if they are in production yet.
I used FFg BP to load some of my ammo, but also used 30 grains of XMP5744 (got the load from Accurate Arms) with great satisfaction. The latter gave me two-inch groups at 50 yards with military sights, mild recoil and about 1,000 fps.
Properly fed, these old Sniders can still shoot, as long as you are prudent and the rifle is in good shape. There's a rumor that someone may be manufacturing replica Sniders in the near future.

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote