New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dryer sheets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've seen a lot of comments about using dryer sheets to reduce static in powder measures and the like as well as using strips to reduce dust in tumblers.

Dryer sheets have not been available downunder but Costco recently opened and import a range of US sourced products.

I bought some dryer sheets "Bounce" to try out but find it hard to believe that you guys actually use these, or maybe I bought the wrong stuff.

They stink. The "fragrance" is just awful. They have been banished from the house and the smell even escapes from a thick ZipLock bag in the garage overpowering my friendly and familiar reloading/gun cleaning/engine smells.

Surely you don't actually use this stuff with your clothes much less your powder and cases.

What have I done wrong??

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have used them. We use Bounce, there isn't any "fragrance". Perhaps if you opened a bottle of Hoppes and set it next to the powder measure while you gently wipe out the plastic powder reservoir. It just takes one gentle wipe.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Ozzie
I am with you I can't stand those damn things.
They are not allowed in our house or on my clothes.
Colorado is very high static but I've never experienced a problem while reloading to need to take steps to eliminate it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
dryer sheets to reduce static in powder measures and the like as well as using strips to reduce dust in tumblers.

There is no magic in dryer sheets, they just have two properties that each help a bit.

First, they are treated with anti-static materials, I suspect it's mostly dried soap.

Second, after normal use they become a loose, open weave material that will catch and hold the dry powders that make dust in tumbling media. Other soft, open weave materials and fabrics work but they are usually a bit less efficent; so what? I just use bore cleaning patches if I don't have tumbler sheets near by.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also pin a couple to the brim of your hat to keep off the mosquitoes! As for the smell--try setting them out in the sun for a while and it should go away.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
get the unscented...

these thing have antistatic chemicals in them

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39577 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried dryer sheets on my plastic funnels and they didn't work one little bit. Why bother with them.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first bought my Uniflo about 30 years ago, I dipped the reservoir in soapy water and let it dry. That is all it took. Did the same thing with the powder funnel...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use one on my auto powder dispenser. I mean Jeez, you only use one every three or four months. Borrow one from a friend or buy a box and give the leftovers to a friend. Go to a movie or something afterwards.

I find the proclaimation "there will be no Bounce sheets in my house" kinda funny.Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I don't care what is in them. They do work very well to remove static electricity from plastic surfaces as well as clothes.

As Jeffe mentioned, GET THE UNSCENTED ONES if you find the fragrance not to your liking. The unscented ones have virtually no smell at all and they are easy to identify...they say "unscented" right on the front of the box.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a dryer sheet wipe down on the powder can on the measure stopped the bullseye from clinging to it for me...... i didn't even notice a smell...... probably from being around solvents and stuff all the time...........

PRAY FOR OBAMA... PSALMS 109:8

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine are labelled "outdoor fresh". Don't smell like any outdoors I know.

I will try to get some unscented next time I'm at Costco or try the sun trick when the weather warms up a bit.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ozzie:

ConfusedDo you have a one or two holer? Eekerroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzie:

I will try to get some unscented next time I'm at Costco or try the sun trick when the weather warms up a bit.

Yeh, the ones you have are loaded with what I suspect is "Tiajuana Whore House" fragrance. They make the unscented ones because many folks are allergic to perfumes, and really need the unperfumed variety if they are going to use them at all.

I won't let the perfumed ones in here either...they keep making me look over my shoulder to see if someone is dragging around a rug rat behind them that wants to call me "Daddy" and cash child support checks........(and my wife keeps asking me "What are you looking around for?")

diggin Roll Eyes

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

I won't let the perfumed ones in here either...they keep making me look over my shoulder to see if someone is dragging around a rug rat behind them that wants to call me "Daddy" and cash child support checks........(and my wife keeps asking me "What are you looking around for?")

diggin Roll Eyes

EekerIf your proficiancy is still up to producing them rug rats you're one up on me! shockerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I'm not, Roger....but I can still remember old deep-rooted (bad pun) fears.....

sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeh, the ones you have are loaded with what I suspect is "Tiajuana Whore House" fragrance

or what I usually call " Outdoor New Jersey" fresh...off topic, but you have a point about Mexicans and smells...

every Mexican restaurant in this area, you go into the bathroom, you have to brace yourself for the smell..

They use some fragrance in there, that smells like concentrated industrial strength bubble gum...guess it is what they use to off set when no one flushes the toilet down in Mexico, or the toilet won't flush...

you come out and you are both lightheaded and about to pass out with Nausea...

they have unscented dryer sheets...or else Costco sends all the smelly ones that didn't sell down to Oz, figuring no one down there would notice the difference..since they had no point of reference...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tiajuana Whore House" fragrance

had to do the joke everyone knows..from the 2004 election..

George Bush and John Kerry walk into a barbershop one right after the other..

instead of one leaving they get involved in idle conversation...

both get an open chair at the same time... and continue their idle chatter...

to at the end of the haircut the barber asks John Kerry, if he would like some cologne?
He responds " No, my wife will think I've spent the afternoon is a whore house..."

Bush's Barber asks him the same thing... George says "Sure, My wife has no idea what a whore house smells like..."

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Ozzie
I am with you I can't stand those damn things.
They are not allowed in our house or on my clothes.
Colorado is very high static but I've never experienced a problem while reloading to need to take steps to eliminate it.

This explains several things now! Big Grin

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use windex on a paper towel and wipe everything down. It works. I don't know about bounce, but I would never use bounce for clothes. They left some kind of bad odor in some of my clothes and I could not wear them. That stuff will never be in my house again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to remember to whom these things are marketed....not me and you, certainly not for use in powder measures. The people to whom the dryer sheet people are trying to appeal are users of powder puffs, not measures.....is there really some question as to why it's hard to find un-stinky ones?

The first box I tried was as saturated with foo foo as I am sure yours is.
I managed to neutralize it with a couple of drops of Kroil. The next time I needed them I got the WalMart cheapie unscented and they actually worked better than the stinky brand name stuff....... go figure.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzie:
Mine are labelled "outdoor fresh". Don't smell like any outdoors I know....
You can easily mask the scent with common offthe shelf products. Get your current bottle of Tink's 69 or any Doe In Estrus Pee, put a couple of drops on a Bandaid, install the Bandaid on your upper-lip directly below your nose. I doubt you will even notice the Dryer Sheets - unless you then stuff some up your nose. rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's nothing I like better than some Pythonesque silliness like this thread--I've been waiting for the inevitable idiot to opine that Proctor and Gamble should make a Hoppe's no. 9 scented dryer sheet. I have Bill Maher's E-mail address...............

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mmmm old Hoppe's No 9. Be still my remaining neurons. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
quote:
Tiajuana Whore House" fragrance

had to do the joke everyone knows..from the 2004 election..

George Bush and John Kerry walk into a barbershop one right after the other..

instead of one leaving they get involved in idle conversation...

both get an open chair at the same time... and continue their idle chatter...

to at the end of the haircut the barber asks John Kerry, if he would like some cologne?
He responds " No, my wife will think I've spent the afternoon is a whore house..."

Bush's Barber asks him the same thing... George says "Sure, My wife has no idea what a whore house smells like..."

yuck

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote