New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Neck Sizer Die?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do I need a die that has a bushing or a standard neck sizer die?
THANKS
Jerry

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
benchrest or hunting?

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Regular neck sizers will do.
I personally would full size my loads that you plan on taking in the field just for insurance they will feed properly. The heat of the hunt is a bad time to find cartridges are chambering rough, and I see little difference in accuracy with FL sized ammo. The best reason for neck sizeing is case life IMO.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jy:
Do I need a die that has a bushing or a standard neck sizer die?
THANKS
Jerry

Neither

Get a Lee Collet Neck Sizer

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=329661

much cheaper and easier to use than the bushing type dies or the regular neck sizing dies.

With a standard type neck sizer you will need to lube the inside of the neck and pull the expander ball through to resize the neck. This leads to a lot of runout and a cleanup job getting the lube out of the neck.

With a bushing type die

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=641574

you do not need to lube the inside of the neck but they are 3 times more expensive and you still need to get the right bushing

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=888340

I tried one Redding Type S Bushing Die and it yielded .007" runout so I went back to Lee Collets.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using the Lee collet die now. The stander mandrel did not give enough tension to hold the bullet.The bullets could be pulled out with finger pressure. I called Lee and was told to reduce the dia. of the mandrel. I did that now I get uneven tension. Now Lee wants to sell me an undersize mandrel. By the time I pay postage it will be almost as much as I paid for the 3 die set.
THANKS for all you HELP
Jerry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Woods....Lee collet die...... and then .....my claim.....back it up with a redding body die when it takes a bit of tension to close the bolt. What do you mean by "inconsistant neck tension"?? Maybe it's the brass.....could it have been shot many times and be hardened.....could it have the old factory "crimp" on the outside causing a little trouble???
Good brass....properly chamferred....and the lee collet die are like ice cream and apple pie.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey jy

Most of the time when the Lee Collet does not work it is because there is a misunderstanding about how to set it up and use it. I have them in 7 different calibers and they all work perfectly.

Not trying to stir anything up here or offend you but could you explain how you are setting the die up and using it?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote