Notify
Tools

Expando-Iron & Neck Turning Prob: Help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Case: 300 Rem Ultra-mag
Tooling: K&M Expando-iron, K&M Neck turner, and Redding Bushing neck dies

Problem: When prepping new brass for neck turning I have tried both cleaning inside of neck and running it through an Expando-iron (w/wax lube) AND
Running it first though a .002" neck bushing and then the Expando iron with te same problem; The brass is not tight on the neck turning mandrel. I read about galling on the mandrel so I assume the neck needs to be pretty snug on the mandrel. Mine has enough play for a slight amount of movement when tilted on the mandrel. Any ideas???

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have you measured the diameter of the mandrel?

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<redleg155>
posted
When I want to see turned necks, I bring my wife with me.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Best regards,

redleg

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
OK--just got home from the bowling alley and had a few beers. I have used the k&m settup alot. I'm reading your post and from what I can tell you are saying you have a problem cause the brass "isn't tight on the mandrel"? THE BRASS SHOULD NOT BE TIGHT ON THE MANDREL. It should be a little loose.
The cutter will force it against the mandrel.
A tight fit will most likely cause problems.
Kinda like a car engine--the rod bearings have to "float" around the crankshaft with oil between the surfaces?? OK I'm not a great mechanic but, I've even neck turned with brass that came right out of the gun after firing--just be sure to keep the case mouth area lubed. HOPE I'm getting your problem right. You'll probably never be able to "cHuck" the brass exactly straight in your drill holder so you must have a little play as it goes over the mandrel. Does this make sense or should I go back and bowl some pot games??

one of us
posted Hide Post
UltraMan,

You need the standard Redding full-length resizing die. Full-length resize the case WITHOUT the expander ball in the die.

Next, run the case into the expand-iron tool.

Then, after lightly lubing the turning mandrel, neck-turn the case. The fit on the turning mandrel SHOULD be snug, but not so tight as to cause galling of the inside of the neck and brass build-up on the turning mandrel. Any looseness of fit, on the turning mandrel, WILL result in excessive neck-wall thickness runout.....i.e. you will not be turning to within a tenth. And that is the whole point of all this.....isn't it?

Friend Of The 17
Kevin Gullette

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote