New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Results - .300 Win/180 Accubond/RL22
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, all I can say is that I wish I would have tried this a long time ago. I went out Saturday and these are the groups I shot with the various powder charges.

The only thing that is unfortunate is my chronograph kept giving me err's after the 74.0 loading...it chronoed at 3,040.

Load consists of:
Winchester Brass - Full length sized
Federal 215M Primer
RL22 Powder (in the increments shown on the targets)
Nosler 180 grain Accubond
Seated .020 off the lands.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you dont minde me asking, how far were these shots, i am getting ready for rl22 and some barnes tsx bullets.

Posts: 117 | Location: colorado springs, co. | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They were all shot at 100 yards. I am hoping to move them out to 300 yards the next time I get to the range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 Winnie,
I am a huge fan of RL-22. I have been hearing/reading alot of stuff that RL-22 and Alliant powders in the RL line are very tempriture sencetive, (more spacifically to cold temps) have you any data to idicate/suport this as you shoot through a chronograph.

Lastly, what chronograph do you own and whats your over all opinion of it, and would you recammend it or another model.

Thanks, great groups BTW.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What's nice is if you overlap all those targets you probably have a 1.5" group which is outstanding for about 12 shots and 2 grains difference in powder. I would be tempted to load approx the mid range of the powder. If it gets hot out and speed goes up the point of impact stays basically the same. If it gets cold out and the speed drops off a bit.......impact looks basically the same.
I'd say that is the hunters "dream combo" you have there.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Model 70 Super Grade 300 Winchester Magnum. I fired 73.5 grains of RL 22 behind a 180 grain Nosler BT. Chronoed around 3030 and 3050. Quarter sized groups, if I did my part. Fired that load for 15 years until I wore out the barrel. Accuraccy went at 5,000 rounds. I wish I had a gunsmith reset the barrel. It might have been good for another 5,000 roounds. When the groups did open up, they opened up to 4 to 8 inches. If I cleaned, it shot well for exactly 9 rounds and then the groups went to hell.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ART338WM:
300 Winnie,
I am a huge fan of RL-22. I have been hearing/reading alot of stuff that RL-22 and Alliant powders in the RL line are very tempriture sencetive, (more spacifically to cold temps) have you any data to idicate/suport this as you shoot through a chronograph.

Lastly, what chronograph do you own and whats your over all opinion of it, and would you recammend it or another model.

Thanks, great groups BTW.

I am really new to the RL series of powders so I don't have any data compiled to support or refute the claims of temperature sensitivity.

I use an F-1 Chrony. It does o.k., but if the lighting is off a little bit it gives some goofy readings, or err's.

It works o.k. for most of what I do, but if I were to do it over again I would probably get something different.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice groups. I am trying to get back out tonight. I think the Accubonds are the way to go for me also. I need to get it done as bow season is upon me.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote