Notify
Tools

Components disposal : PLEASE REMOVE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted
Folks

I have figured out how to move my FIL's guns, but don't know how to do the same for components.

Specifically, without shipping (bullets) what ideas do y'all have to get a BUNCH of .257 and .277 offerings in all sorts of weights and brands to some place useful? I don't load for the 25/06, .270 Winchester for example.

I anticipate a few "smart" comments, but would like to work trades / sell / talk about this seriously with interested parties.

I'd say we are talking about maybe 50# or so, and partial boxes have a number on them for what's left. Some are quite old, but I clear taped them so they are intact.

Later...

Posts: 4855 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make a list of what you've got and put the items up for sale or trade in the classified forum. Really pretty simple.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cheapest way is the flat rate boxes from USPO

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:

Specifically, without shipping

Ideas I have are using gun club newsletter ads (I have to do that for a couple guns anyway), working out a swap person-to-person for anyone close to Clute, TX, and the gun show route.

Looking for alternatives, but will work on pix and inventory approach too. I also have partials on powders that I know won't go USPS. And, possibles bag items that wouldn't ship with the black powder rifle I sold and delivered, like shotgun primers, Pyrodex, .50 caliber bullets, etc.

We won't worry about hundreds of hand loads and left-over factory rounds for .270 Win, 7STW, ...

Thanx!

Barry

Posts: 4855 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
cheapest way is the flat rate boxes from USPO
Keep in mind you can NOT ship primers, powder or loaded ammo via USPS. To ship powder & primers legally, you have to pay a hazmat fee. Your best bet for powder & primers is to put an add up at a local gun range & sell it FTF. Ammo & other components can be shipped UPS w/o issue.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a little unclear about what you're asking. If you're talking about components---and more specifically, bullets and brass---the USPS Flat Rate boxes are wonderful. How the USPS makes any money on them is beyond me. They can be filled really full and really heavy, and it's all one price. They've even got a small one that's only about $5.00.

If you're talking loaded ammunition, powder, and primers, the local gun club may be a better option. Shipping that stuff is a real PITA. It must go by ground and be properly labeled and you'll probably have to take it to the UPS or Fedex terminal rather than the local shop or Pack n Ship.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
I'm a little unclear about what you're asking.

LWD

All I wanted was ideas other than those involving shipping. Will work out by PM if anyone is interested in bullets (see previous post).

Can send as Word document if the AR result is confusing.

Barry

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
I'm a little unclear about what you're asking.

LWD

All I wanted was ideas other than those involving shipping. Will work out by PM if anyone is interested in bullets (see previous post).

Can send as Word document if the AR result is confusing.

Barry

Your listing is very clear, except that you don't mention if the "full" boxes contain 50 or 100.

What is unclear is why you don't want to ship them. If someone wanted to buy all your .277 bullets you cold simply throw them in a flat rate box and mail them. I can't see why you would have a problem doing this as opposed to FTF.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BNagel, you have a PM.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
JBrown

I just didn't want to "mail" so much weight. Also, working some kind of swap would be interesting (as opposed to a sale).

Of course, if it has to be I could ship bullets.
BTW, I have done what I am going to do re counting. Stock numbers are provided in case someone wants to go find it out. Also, be advised that I have revised to include .30 cal bullets. ( I'll keep his 7mm stuff even though I'll never shoot it all up!!!)

I'd hoped that some bulk arrangement could be arranged where someone would take all of a particular caliber. I am NOT interested in piecing these out all over the country. I AM hoping for someone near Houston looking for about half retail or equivalent swap via face-to-face dealing.

Regards, and thanks for all input.

Barry

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
I apologize -- moderator says this (was) running an auction. Forgive the newby...

Barry