Find
Notify
Tools

Bear claws? Any good?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
I was looking at 375 rounds, and premium bullets had 250-270 grain Bear Claws in them.

Expensive, but, how do they work on game?

gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Bear Claws are as good as they get...

Use them with confidence.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
The Bear Claws are as good as it gets. I have used them for everything except varmints with total satisfaction on hundreds of animals. Since I recommend them so highly, many of my hunting clients use them too, so I see a lot of them in action. We almost never recover them, and when we do, they retain about 95-97% of their original weight with double diameter expansion. They look just like an advertising photo. I would be happy to e-mail you pics of 7mm, .308, .300, .338, and .375 bullets recovered from pigs, Nilgai, Kudu, Wildebeest, Giraffe, Buffalo, and many other animals. Use them with confidence.

------------------
Greg Rodriguez
Mombasa Trading Company
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer, Greg.

If you have a pick of a 375 bullet, used, I'd love to see it.

Thanks

gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Greg,
I'd appreciate pics of all, and ANY brand of bullet you have recovered, if you have the time. Thanks!!
wanderer_allround@hotmail.com

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I e-mailed you guys some pics. Several .375s in there. Let me know what you think.

------------------
Greg Rodriguez
Mombasa Trading Company
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GREG,
Thanks very much! Very impressive photos indeed. Makes a very good case for premium bullets. Say, if you have some pics of "standard" bullets you have recovered, I would love to see them as well.

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I don't. Most aren't much to look at so we don't look for them in the animals. Also, most of my clients show up with premium bullets so we don't get much of a chance to test standard bullets very often.

------------------
Greg Rodriguez
Mombasa Trading Company
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Greg, I'd like to see those too. If you send them to me I'll see if I can post 'em up on the web for all to see.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon: I forwarded the message to you. If you have any problems, let me know.

Again, thanks for the pictures.

Great stuff.

Sincerely,

gs

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Soc! Here they are:

I'll let Greg add the descriptions.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now you want me to do work, Jon;-)

"

These are pics of bullets that I have in my office. My collection is bigger,but not many more Bear Claws.

Pic1: l-r .375, 300 grains recovered from Eland, Giraffe, Zebra, and the last 2 from the same Wildebeest. The last 2 were from a Wildebeest that I shot. I shot it through each hind quarter at an angle, and each was recovered under the skin on the off shoulder. Complete and total penetration of the Wildebeest, hip, then gut, then shoulder. Pretty impressive.

Pic2: l-r

.308 recovered after passing through both shoulders of a Blackbuck Antelope and 10" of dirt. 97% weight retention.

.308 recovered from Springbok. 270 yard shot behind last rib, quartering through shoulder, lodged under the skin. 96% weight retention.

7mm Rem Mag (175 gr.) recovered just under the skin on an Impala. It hit a branch before it hit him and still retained 95%.

7mm Rem., same bullet same hunt, Shot a Kudu behind the last rib, quartering forward through the gut and vitals, through the off shoulder, lodged under the skin, 97% retention.

.338. These were shot by a client, 1 I a 450 pound Nilgai and 1 in a 300 pound hog. The pig was broadside, the Nilgai quartering. Both were lodged under the skin but very deformed. I believe they were going too fast as they were both High Energy loads. I have never seen Bear Claws this deformed.

.300 win mag, 165 Barnes-X. Poor expansion and penetration, one on a quartering Axis Deer and 1 on a broadside Waterbuck. I am not a big Barnes-X fan. These did not expand or penetrate well, but did retain 93 & 95% of their weight.

I hope you find this helpful. Take care.

...http://www.mbogo.net"

Thank you again for your pictures. It's nice to know the quality, and accuracy of the bullets, and real game experiences.

You have answered the question Are the 375 H & H factory load, using Bear Claw 270's adequate for anything short of Buffalo?

Thanks again

gs

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I use the 300 grain Bear Claws in my .375 and Elephant is the only thing I wouldn't tackle with them. I would load solids in the mag, though.

------------------
Greg Rodriguez
Mombasa Trading Company
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151