New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 Colt Long v. 45-70 loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since I got my Marlin 1894 .45 Long Colt lever action rifle a fellow shooter is itching to buy something similar to shoot with me. There is a Marlin 45-70 NIB with an asking price of 400.00 which sounds like a great deal. His question to me is: since both guns are .45 rifles with the same barrel length, action and so forth, could he load the same loads as I am using in the .45 Long Colt in his brass and get similar results as my gun firing the same bullet weight v. powder charge? Sounds like a simple enough yes to me since everything is alike but the volume of the shell but I don’t know for sure and don’t want the guy buying a gun with expectations that are wrong.

My 1894 is so fun to shoot and doesn’t beat you up at all so he’s looking for a similar experience.

Anybody, anybody?

Posts: 203 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a huge difference in case capacity between the two. They also have different bore diameters - 45 Colt is .452 and 45-70 is .458. Usually the Colt is loaded with 250 grain bullets and the lightest you usually see for 45-70 is 300 grain. There are 300 and heavier bullets available for 45 Colt and they can be loaded to 45-70 type velocities, but you will use different powders and charge weights to achieve what you're looking for. Check some reloading manuals and see what they suggest.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot; not what we wanted to hear but better to know now. I figured it was a question that needed to be asked; Cowboy guns are new to me. Lots of fun to shoot though at lest the 45 Long Colt; doesn’t beat you up.

Thanks again.

Posts: 203 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
in short, not interchangable .. could he load down a 45/70 to 45lc? well, yes, it can be done, but be VERY careful, light loads blow up guns

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38500 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, not knowing for sure, on the surface it looks like a 38 Special/.357 Magnum situation but that little guy on my shoulder made me ask.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you guys want light loads, you might take a look at Trail Boss powder.
I've been using it quite a bit, it does work as advertised. Plenty of load data at Hodgdon's website.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m fine with mine, my buddy just wondered if he could get away with loading a 45-70 like my 45 Long Colt so he’s just not going to buy the gun as a result of the answer here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
He will be missing out on a fine rifle. There are a ton of cowboy action loads for it. Pleasant shooting and very accurate.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wboggs:
I’m fine with mine, my buddy just wondered if he could get away with loading a 45-70 like my 45 Long Colt so he’s just not going to buy the gun as a result of the answer here.

As noted, two completely diff rounds in every way. I would but the 45-70, but that's just me (I own two). It's agreat round & you can load it down to 45colt levels, but the lightest bullet you'll likely come across is a 300gr. They will ahppily go 900fps or so w/ a small charge of Unique powder & over powder wad.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote