New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronographs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking at purchasing a chrono soon but would like some feedback on what to look out for. I have not done this before, so any advice is helpful. Thanks

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Two choices; a Chrony, which, for a hundred bucks, does everything I need, efficiently, and accuraely, since they came out many years ago. The other choice is to spend several hundred for devices that do the same. Others will now chime in with what they use.

Posts: 17272 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted Hide Post
I have used a PACT professional chronograph with good service for years. I have friend who has a Chrony Alpha and it does just as good to determine velocities. We have used them to compare readings and between the PACT and Chrony, any difference in readings is absorbed by standard deviations. For the money, a Chrony Alpha does fine to determine velocities. The others cost more for added bells and whistles.

Posts: 92 | Location: Eastman, GA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Two choices; a Chrony, which, for a hundred bucks, does everything I need, efficiently, and accuraely, since they came out many years ago. The other choice is to spend several hundred for devices that do the same. Others will now chime in with what they use.

Agreed!!

I have a Chrony, Beta Master, with the separate display that sits on the shooting bench. It is relatively easy to use, easy to read, cost was around $160 a few years ago.

The only criticism I have, is the memory function is difficult to operate properly without the manual right beside you. 3 buttons must be used in the proper order to make it function, and my memory just isn't that good anymore.

But, until I get it down, I am able to read the velocities and get the information I need.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My father bought an Ohler 35P that I have since absconded with that I love. I don't have the bells and whistles to hook it into the computer, but do well with the tape print outs. This is a 3 screen unit that has a stand off box, so you are not having to use field glasses or walk down range to get your data.

My biggest recommendation would be to get one that has the screens separated from the unit, and spare parts are readily available. I have erred and shot a screen and seen others take out an entire unit.

Will

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I too have a Chrony Master with the remote digital display. I have used it extensively in the 10 years or so I've had it. I think I paid a little over a hundred for it back then like $115 or something and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Good solid performance and fits my needs

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Mine is just the plain Chrony; I look at the screen and write the velocity down with a pencil. I know how to figure averages so I don't need any remotes, computers, or anything else. I got the first one when they first came out, and a friend centered it with a 500 Linebaugh, and he bought me another one. Even the batteries last for years.

Posts: 17272 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR -- this might come over gruff .. i don't mean it that way --

This topic has been covered a bunch -- Long and short of it - get a chrony as they don't cost much, better get a chrony with the remote - if you have deeper pockets, get a oehler

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39577 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Our own experience in chronographs - by trying everything available - is that the Oehler 35P is the best there is.

Nothing even comes close.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68649 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first was a Chrony and it worked great....until a 520 gr. bullet from a 45-120-3 1/4 went through the screen. I bought a Pact to replace it because the screen and controls are in a separate box that sits on my bench. At that time, close to 20 years ago, there was only about $50.00 difference. It has to be hooked up with cables from the screens to the box but I don't mind that. I really like having the controls and screen at my fingertips as to using bino's or walking down range to get the readings.

Having said that, for the money the Chrony is hard to beat.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After you shoot the chronograph (or your brother in law will) They will take your Chrony back as a trade in. Hard to beat a Chrony.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Saeed. The 35P gives the most accurate and consistent information.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chrony beta master with the display on the bench has worked very well for me.
Are there better ones? Probably
Are they a shot-load more money? yes
Am I totally happy? yessir
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuaneinND:
I agree with Saeed. The 35P gives the most accurate and consistent information.

Sorry, I've proofed my Chrony against just about every other chronograph and have yet to find any difference in the accuracy. The oehler does cost more however.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
35P vs F1

Here's a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNKUAgpKNY

If cost/ budget is a factor !!!!

The Oehler is around $344 vs about $110 for the F1.

Check Midway supply for ordering.

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...-and-2-mounting-rail

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Our own experience in chronographs - by trying everything available - is that the Oehler 35P is the best there is.

Nothing even comes close.

+1 I love mine

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Agreed!!

I have a Chrony, Beta Master, with the separate display that sits on the shooting bench. It is relatively easy to use, easy to read, cost was around $160 a few years ago.

The only criticism I have, is the memory function is difficult to operate properly without the manual right beside you. 3 buttons must be used in the proper order to make it function, and my memory just isn't that good anymore.

But, until I get it down, I am able to read the velocities and get the information I need.

This is what I use also. Some useful features and a fair price.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Chrony - Beta or Gama model if you want a low cost option that still works.

You could go up from there. But I doubt that you will get real quality unless you to the upper ranges.

A friend bought a PACT but that was so unreliable & then failed.

More recently there is a new radar model but I am not sure how good it really is. The Youtube clip looks impressive.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11200 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Chrony's with the display that sits on the bench and really love it.

Steve..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You might check out the Magneto Speed, depending on what you want vs. what you want to spend.

Posts: 3 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 21 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use my chronograph in my work and the 35P works in conditions that neither of the 2 Chronys I have had would. The longer screen spacing, the proof channel, and the printer make it worthwhile.
The Chrony is a wonderful machine for price and convenience, so much so there is no reason not to own a chronograph.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuaneinND:
I use my chronograph in my work and the 35P works in conditions that neither of the 2 Chronys I have had would. The longer screen spacing, the proof channel, and the printer make it worthwhile.
The Chrony is a wonderful machine for price and convenience, so much so there is no reason not to own a chronograph.

You are a lucky man, to use an Oehler chronograph at work. Are they hiring? Cool

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Taking my O-35 to the range this afternoon. The thing to remember is how big the screens are and how big that sweet spot is.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad I got my Oehler 35 when I did (about 15 years ago). Noticed they are getting $595 for them now. Eeker

But they are worth every penny. Oehlers work when others don't and the proof screen really does add a lot of confidence to your data.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Oehler 35P has worked for going on 2 decades, with no problems.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Pact model one...easy to use, and its over 20 years old now.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont over look the CED. Dillon carries them. Seperate every thing. Mine is a really old one but it will clock a 177 caliber pellet!

Posts: 746 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX7:
You might check out the Magneto Speed, depending on what you want vs. what you want to spend.

Have a MagnetoSpeed and will never look back. No worries about light, wind, holding people
up while setting up at a range, set up time, etc. Just as accurate as any screen chrono as
well.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DannoBoone:
quote:
Originally posted by TX7:

Have a MagnetoSpeed and will never look back. No worries about light, wind, holding people
up while setting up at a range, set up time, etc. Just as accurate as any screen chrono as
well.

How is the magnetospeed held onto the barrel??

Would it stay on the barrel on rifles that have very heavy recoil??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68649 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just recieved a MagnetoSpeedand am learning how to use it. It straps onto the barrel with a heavy duty nylon strap and a take up screw to really tighten it up. I think it will take some very heavy recoil to move it.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of sounding like a broken record my grandson is in his second year of college studying advanced engineering. I will run this by him soon.

Also an aside, as I have also said here recently, our fellow Americans are advancing in technology at light speed, actually breathtaking to me. Absolutely awesome.

Here's a descriptive series of videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdXLyD3UpA0

Whether or not this obsoletes the conventional chronograph remains to be seen.

It doesn't seem to be outrageous at a couple of hundred bucks *( US Dollars ).

I don't have this on my agenda. I'm full up.

But this may be a challenge for fellow shooters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't strapping something on the barrel of your rifle upset the harmonics and change your point of impact?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Possibly yes and possibly no.

It depends on the type barrel, length, diameter. caliber, bedding.

When I bought semi finished stocks and completed them I glass bedded the recoil lugs and often taped the barrel to provide a space so the barrel free floated. Some would allow partial contact and some full contact. Mine worked best free floating.

Different manufacturers do it different ways. It varies. The quick and easy way to know yours is to slip a sheet of paper between the forearm and barrel and see how far it goes in.

There have been cases wherein attaching something to the barrel improved accuracy. Like everything else about firearms the only thing consistent is the inconsistency. Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Magnetospeed for a couple years now. It will move under recoil from time to time but as long as you look at before you shoot, you can very easily reposition it if necessary.

I haven't tried shooting groups with it on vs with it off. Others on various forums apparently have and claim it will slightly change your POI. So, I use mine only for determining velocity and leave the group shooting for another time.

Posts: 450 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Wouldn't strapping something on the barrel of your rifle upset the harmonics and change your point of impact?

When researching, I read about some claiming POI was slightly
higher with some rifles, but that accuracy was unchanged.

So far, I've only used it on heavy recoiling, smokeless muzzle
loaders and did not notice any difference. The strap has held
well, even shooting 275gr bullets to 2800fps. Instructions have
a warning not to get the strap too tight, or one can break the
latch. So it takes a little bit of care and patience 'till one
gets the hang of just how tight it can be adjusted.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my Pro-Chrony from Huntingtons, as its light and easy to pack around and its very accurate as I have tested it with my Oehler 35 which of course is the best, but very expensive and not really necessary for the average shooter.

The pro-Crony is a $125 dollar unit, super accurate and tough..

The little red box chrony is a pain in the a$$, as it has to have sunlight then the sunlight had to be shaded, and you waste a lot of ammo as the screen comes up blank more than I like, so when I blew my little red box to smithereens, I got a pro-chrony and I use it more than the Oehler..I have had it for about 15 years and its still working. If one has a permanent set up the Oehler is the best, but only if you shoot a heck of a lot.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42149 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 1982, at the age of 20, I took my income tax refund and bought an Oehler Model 12. It has always done all that I needed it to do. It cost $100.00 then with the skyscreens. I used in in working up loads, shooting for accuracy and checking the velocity at the same time. The Crony would probably do as well - even better for arrows or airguns.

Posts: 69 | Location: Fouke, Ark. | Registered: 06 August 2014Reply With Quote