New
Find
Notify
Tools

.405 Winchester?
 Login/Join

<Dave>
posted
Can anyone point me to some load data for this caliber? I was very interested in what Charles Cottar said about it. Those posts were very good reading. He said it was second only to .470 Rigby repeater. I presume that when he said soft or hard bullets he was talking about lead. .405 was the choice of Teddy Roosevelt on his lion hunts. But everywhere else it is mentioned, it is always considered insufficient.

Presumably his preference for American guns stems from being American. He was shooting Hippo with .30-06...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave. I have some data from an older Lyman Manual for 300 gr. Jacketed bullets. E-mail me and I'll pass it on. I don't post load data on forums.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't Cotter killed when he tried to use a .405 on a Rhino? If it was him then I'd say his opinion of the round was a bit overrated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heres your load datta from a old lyman manual 300 gr jackedted 4895 48gr to 60grs 1730 to 2230 fps, 3031 45gr to 57gr 1750 to 2250 fps and 4064 47gr to 59 gr 1760 to 2260 fps. hope this helps.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Dave>
posted
P Dog Shooter

Thanks for posting the data. That gives the right perspective.

boltman:

Saeed's post did not say what gun was in his hand when he died. That was Ray A.'s comment. I do not care. I will probably never go to Africa. But I wanted to get a perspective of what the round would do because it was well known because of Teddy Roosevelt. If it won't shoot 400 gr. bullets above 2150 fps., it is probably not enough.

<ED GENTRY>
posted
Most hippo are killed from a boat with an 30-06,7x57 or 308 shot at 8 to 15 feet between the eyes.Sporting ?????????????

ED GENTRY

posted Hide Post
Dave,
Get "Nine Maneaters and a Rogue" by Kenneth
Anderson. He hunted in India sometime either side of WW2, and delt with many man eating tigers. At least for a large part of his early career he used a lever actioned .405Win and never mentions any problems with the rifle or the round...I think he also used it on the rogue elephant of the title. He actually mentions very little about the firearms he uses, more concentrating on the actual hunting side...a very good book and one which will make the hair on your neck tingle in places....

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ED GENTRY:
Most hippo are killed from a boat with an 30-06,7x57 or 308 shot at 8 to 15 feet between the eyes.Sporting ?????????????

Certainly very very dangerous for the occupants of the boat. Where are the other hippos? Probably underneath you. More experienced Africa hands can confirm this but I seem to remember that more people are killed by hippo than crocodile.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote