Find
Notify
Tools

.223 load for Ruger Mini-14
 Login/Join

<Mr.16 gauge>
posted
Greetings;
I have a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch rifle that I have tried with several brands of factory ammunition. Almost all have shot patterns, not groups, which I am told is a flaw with this particular rifle. One brand shot particularly well; Black Hill's 52 grain Moly-coated match ammo hollow points. I will be using this brand of ammo for hunting this winter, but don't really want to be shooting moly coated bullets (I have heard a lot of scuttlebutt as to corrosion, ect). I am primarily interested in using this arm for coyote, fox, ect at moderate ranges...100 to 150 yards. Does anyone out there have a load using a 52 grain bullet (or any bullet, for that matter) that will shoot accurately out of one of these guns? Thanks in advance. (the Black Hill's ammo is shooting 1" at 100 yards....this is kind of what I am shooting (no pun intended) for!)

<goneballistic>
posted
Offhand, I would say that if you have found a round that will hold 1 MOA in your factory Mini 14, buy up as much as you can carry and don't look back!
The moly aspect wouldn't concern me, but the bullet type is not right for the job you want to do. You would be better off with a varmint type projectile, like a V-MAX or a Nosler BT, unless you are wanting to save the whole pelt.
As to the load, I would recomend Winchester brass, Winchester Small Rifle primers, and H335, in the neighborhood of 26 grains, or W748, about 27.5 grains, for the bullet weight you mentioned.
Caution: Some brass, including military brass and Federal brass, may give high pressures with these loads!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about the 52grers on yotes they will work just fine. I've shots lots of varmits with them. I like to use bal-c 2 in my mini's or surplus wc844.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Kerry.S>
posted
Like dave said 1 MOA is great from an out of the box mini 14, hell Clerke had a hard time gitting this let alone gitting any better.
my favorite load is 24.5 grs of IMR 4895 under a 62 gr Speer fmjbt with winchester WSR primers @ 2900 fps shoots good. I got .5" groups out of my AR-15 and my buddy shot them out of his Mini 14 an got 1-1.5" groups so i'd say thats a good load
Kerry

------------------
If you can't hunt, fish. If you can't fish, Hunt