New
Find
Notify
Tools

(2) points of impact?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Weatherby fibermark in 25-06. I like the gun, not to heavy to carry all day, but am having trouble getting it dialed in with a load. I am beginning to think it may not be the load, but something in the fit of the action/stock. (scope mount and rings are tight).

With factory ammo I get a few that group close together near the center, they a second group about 1-3/8 up and left. With handloads I get the same type of pattern - three almost toughing near the center, then two more grouped up and left 1-1/4". I can overlay the two targets and the groups match up.

What's wrong with this picture?

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Actually nothing wrong. On the contrary that rifle (action) is very well bedded to be that reproducible.

That being said, the second group moves up b/c of barrel heating up & touching somewhere along the channel.

Regardless, who cares? Are you that shitty a shot that you need 6 shots to kill an animal?

No, right? If you're first group is well centered and zeroed, good for you. Much more important to kill than to punch paper.

Leave it alone and don't pull the trigger more than three times.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What rounds are going high or does it not matter? Might be heat or pressure in the bedding. Gun might be walking back on the bags changing harmonics. Take your front sling swiviel stud out and try it again.It might just be grabbing the front rest. These are WAGS. Different positions on the gun will change your point of impact on the bench, could be a fit issue. Like I said WAGS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I try to separate each shot by about 4-5 minutes to maintain a fairly even barrel temperature. Shots fall into group 1 or 2 in no particular order. First shot may be in 1, next two in group 2, then back to group 1. It seems to be more or less random.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A/C, I have noticed this with a friends Weatherby (it's a MK V ultralight) and what it turned out to be is that his rig was very picky about where on the forend of the stock it was propped as to whether it went an inch or so higher or lower. I got him on a set of Dog-gone good bags and the whole forend was nestled against the channel in the bag, and it started shooting some great 5 shot groups. If he put it on his Front rest and wasn't real precise about which part of the forend was resting on the rest, his group would wander up and down. We shot it off of his fleece coat all balled up and placed on the table, and it shot fine.

I think if you are resting that rifle on a firm front rest in different spots on the forend, it can give you the issue you are seeing......

Or your barrel can be touching somewhere in the stock as someone mentioned........

Just FYI--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When that happened to me,off the scope went for repair.Luckly for me it had been shooting tight groups before.

You can hunt longer with the wind at your back

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Nobody's gonna be able to figure out your problem by remote control. Take it to a competent gunsmith and have he/she find your problem.

Were the scope rings checked for alignment? Could be a scope problem.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have two impact centers there is mechanical movement some where. Scope? (try another ), Mounts?
(retorque), Bedding ? (try paper shims). Or you can always go to church and light a candle.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you have gotten some good advice. The simplest is to support the forearm in a consistent fashion and see if that sorts out your problem. (That is after checking your scope mount.) Then I'd look at the other suggestions. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of scope do you have mounted on the rifle?

I agree with posters above that it sounds like a scope issue, possibly parallax

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two random groups has happened to me a couple times.

Both times it has been the scope mount screws are loose. Not loose enough for me to see, hear, or feel it by shaking the scope relative to the receiver, but .002" loose.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
My guess, action is moving in the stock. Make sure the stock screw has not bottomed out before its tight at the lug. Also, i have seen magazine metal be to long. The floor plate will contact the magazine as the magazine touches the receiver, acting as a large shim between floor plate and receiver. The screw will seem tight, but the action in the stock is not.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say that this is a bedding problem,and just might be overrun in finish in bedding as well. Have a good gunsmith check it out. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote