Find
Notify
Tools

The 30-06 & IMR-4166: A Positive Experience
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted
After the crapfest that was my 416 Remington Mag. and IMR-4166 experiment (detailed HERE), I was left with the better part of two pounds of the powder with a question as to its application. I've always been impressed with the performance of the other Enduron powders, so I wanted to treat the poor experience as an outlier and give it another shot (pun intended).

Reviewing the data for the cartridges I have, I determined it would be a reasonable idea to try the powder in my 30-06 using the 165gr. Barnes TTSX bullet. I recently developed a load for this combo using a different powder that shot just OK and didn't think it was performing as well as it could. Off to the loading bench.

Data was compiled using standard jacketed bullet loads but stressed data for the monometal bullets more heavily. As no data exists for the combination directly, I used data for the Hornady 165gr. GMX. Charges went from 46.0 to 48.0 grains in .5 grain increments. OAL was loaded to the Barnes book value. The goal for this test was to get a load that shot at or under 1" for three shots, exhibited consistent velocity in the range expected (~2800fps), and showed no adverse pressure signs. In this case, the rifle is a Rem 700 SS left hand, B&C composite stock, and Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10.

Shot everything yesterday on a muggy, overcast day with temperatures hovering in the low 80's. Results with this test were the polar opposite of the previous experiment. No pressure signs with any of the charges tested. Accuracy was also excellent with ALL the charges - you could honestly pick any one of them and go hunting without a single concern. The "worst" group came in at 1 5/8" with the remainder of them under 1". Velocity was right on par with what was expected, with the maximum charge of 48.0gr. (also tied for most accurate) averaging at 2740fps with only 17fps between high and low and SD of a scant 8.

All things being equal, this is a winning combination and one of the more accurate loads for this rifle. Should make an excellent deer, black bear, and hog load. I will likely give it a try this coming deer season in PA. Should I connect, I'll update the results here. As always, my data is my own and YMMV.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Thanks! It's always good to hear about success experiences.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice. I have most of a pound of it, and was wondering if it might work in the .400 Whelen. But I am not an extrapolater. Just not enough experience.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Nice. I have most of a pound of it, and was wondering if it might work in the .400 Whelen. But I am not an extrapolater. Just not enough experience.
I mentioned this in my other post, but this powder is supposed to be in the medium burn rate category that's traditionally occupied by the various 4064's, Varget, RE-15, et. al. Theoretically, any cartridge that benefits from one of those powders should benefit from this one. I was honestly surprised at the disparity between my two experiences, probably more so by the negative than the positive. It's not a "wonder" powder that promises increased velocity, but the consistency and stability are what's touted. The former I can say is absolutely true, but I can't speak to the stability as it's currently hot as hell in PA. I'll have to chrono some of them in February to see.

I was really pleased by the economy of the loading. It's only a max of 48 grains of powder, which is very modest and yields more loads from a pound of powder. Seems to be very efficient return on charge weight.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had about the same experience with IMR-4166. A friend of mine bought several pounds of 4166 and then didn't like the results with what he was trying so he gave me about 4 lbs of it. I was running out of IMR-4350 that I was loading in my 30-06 so I tried it. I started with 46 1/2gr up to 48gr with a 180gr Sierra Prohunter bullet. All but the starting load were an inch or less at 100yds and no major pressure signs.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
That's a good friend who gives up 4 pounds of powder, Ed! I wasn't about to part with mine, so I needed to find a good use for it. Glad you had a similar experience. Put me solidly back in the Enduron fan club.