THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using the new forester "bump" die?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone been using this die yet? Looks like a nice combo of features with a bushing neck sizer and shoulder bump in one pass. My questions are:
1. Just making sure there is no lube needed.
2. Has runnout been good with this brass sizing.?

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using them for .223 rem and 6mmBR Norma loads. No lube needed. All my casenecks come out concentric to within .001" using Lapua brass. I've done about 350 cases so far.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Reddings similar type die in 223 and 308.
Redding calls theirs ... Type S Full Length Bushing Die.
I use them for my highpower match reloading. Love them.
Forester's sound like the same set up. Should work equally well.
I still lube my cases as bumping the shoulder back a little could leave the case stuck. Don't want to chance it.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
muck, not the same as Redding type S http://forums.accuratereloadin...2511043/m/5281012301

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One last question. Can you leave out the insert and bump back loaded ammo like you can with a redding body die?
I'm about to swap out a 308 for a new bolt action and have lots of loaded ammo sitting here. It would be ashame if it wouldn't chamber because the shoulder was another .002" long. I've converted alot of loaded ammo with the redding body die in "like" situations with other calibers and it takes almost no effort and is actually safe to do.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kraky, I think I bumped it (no pun intended) to the top of this forum when I replied to a question from Woods, but here is a link to my Q&A and review of my first one!

Former post

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish..thanks....is it possible to cycle loaded ammo through it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you buy the Forster "kit" it will come with 3 bushings, one of which could be larger than your existing necks formed with other "standard" dies. I have the Redding and the Forster dies and I don't see any difference in their use for what you want to do.Still, I've never tried to do that. Why don't you try iy and let us know?

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking if you left the insert out it would just bump the shoulder?? Pretty sure I'm gonna get one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kraky, you are correct, I have done that on some rounds that I had made as 'generic' that wouldn't chamber in a rig I wanted to shoot them in, since the die was set for that rifle's ammo, I just ran the ammo through the die, with the expander/decapper removed, really slow I must say, but it worked like a charm--don't have a clue if it mattered in the WTF category, but these were not compressed loads, and yeah, I did think about that before I proceeded.

I like these dies a lot, if I didn't say that, have 5 of em now.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a die coming for 308.....most every place has to back order them and so was mine. I just ordered a rem vtr.....ugly gun ....but hope it shoots and it will be fun if I don't have to lube brass. Our range has some berms with alot of rocks....will be fun plinking at them with the vtr and it's ported muzzle....should see the hits in the scope....cheap ez fun....I like that!!