Find
Notify
Tools

PRIMERS??!?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted
I bet I'm the only person here who doesn't know the answer to this question, "WHERE THE #$!* are all the primers? I haven't even heard the bullsh*t stories yet. Please someone set me straight, have the primer ferries made off with every primer in North f#!@*ing America?

Posts: 350 | Location: GA by way of PA, OH, KY, TX, VA, and NC | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kim Jong Il bought them for his nuclear program. Low cost triggering device.

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right now they are putting every primer they can make into loaded cartridges. As soon as we see cartridges sitting on store shelves unsold for weeks,we will see primers start to trickle into shops.
As I see it this is a success story for the second amendment. The shooting community has for several years been doing everything "they" can to attract new shooters. This means many more people buying guns and ammo.
Now throw in the Obama scare. Many people start buying in bulk "just in case". Stock in stores gets thin. This fuels the rumor mill. And now panic buying sets in. And from there it spirals out of control.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hoarding
plain and simple

I am seeing loaded ammo, of ALL calibers normaly stocked, at walmart and a couple hunting shops.

I can usually also walk in and buy a brick or 3 of primers, any day of the week, in houston, EXCEPT for small rifle

Hoarding, boys, just like the last time

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Col K:

I spoke with two of the major ammunition manufacturers on another matter yesterday, and during the conversation the primer scarcity topic arose.

As mentioned above by "muck", it appears that these two companies can't stuff them into ammunition fast enough to keep up with the demand. Yesterday's conversation confirms muck's theory.

So, the excess primers available for individual component sales is inadequate to satisfy the demand caused by hoarding. And, of course the person like me who just ran out of small rifle primers, and bought a brick because I needed them.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fprefect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dall85:
Kim Jong Il bought them for his nuclear program. Low cost triggering device.

Imagine that,a fission device trigger by primers of all things, but if his U235 or Pu239 is sufficiently enriched, he's bought far, far too many, and driven up the price in the process. But I would give him high marks for inginuity as the darn things used to be a very cheap form of explosive. Maybe someone will toss that errant cigarette and we'll have billions of primers and half of north Korea in orbit.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and generally been regarded as a bad move......Douglas Adams

One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted Hide Post
Well, if fur ball Kim is using them, I hope he uses the Federal magnum rifle primers to ensure he gets a good burn. I don't know, we have several gun shops and a Bass Pro Shop down the road, and they have plenty of loaded ammo. Talking to the gun shops, the only thing they're running out of is 7.63x39 and .223 (duh). Not many of the "Good Ole Boys" around here reload, they're the "Gimme a box of 30-30," folks. When I think of how many primers I've wasted over the years...I want to cry. Oh well, is anyone venturing a guess as to when we should see daylight?

Posts: 350 | Location: GA by way of PA, OH, KY, TX, VA, and NC | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fprefect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Col K:
Well, if fur ball Kim is using them, I hope he uses the Federal magnum rifle primers to ensure he gets a good burn. I don't know, we have several gun shops and a Bass Pro Shop down the road, and they have plenty of loaded ammo. Talking to the gun shops, the only thing they're running out of is 7.63x39 and .223 (duh). Not many of the "Good Ole Boys" around here reload, they're the "Gimme a box of 30-30," folks. When I think of how many primers I've wasted over the years...I want to cry. Oh well, is anyone venturing a guess as to when we should see daylight?

Bass Pro? Branson or Springfield? I think we may be neighbors. I live east of Branson and there is only one "local" retailer located about 10 miles north of Branson and they're having trouble getting primers although I was able to get a few small pistol last week, and even received 2 emails from Midway saying they recieved some of the same but I didn't need enough other supplies to justify paying the HAZMAT fee, but primer are beginning to show up so things may be starting to loosen up a bit. The only reloading component that I am completely out of is small magnum pistol primers that I use for loading exactly ONE .357 load. If you happen to be in the Springfield Bass Pro and they have any drop me a PM if you have time.

F. Prefect

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and generally been regarded as a bad move......Douglas Adams

One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted Hide Post
Perfect,

I'm near the Bass Pro in Savannah, GA. Sorry, trying to figure out how to PM

One of Us
Picture of 7.62Rebel
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can't find happens to be the only ammo I buy-.22 in bricks.Have found some in 325 for 16.oo-No Thanks..

Go Galt

One of Us
Picture of fprefect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Col K:
Perfect,

I'm near the Bass Pro in Savannah, GA. Sorry, trying to figure out how to PM

Don't worry about it. Didn't know they had a store it Georgia. They started out in Springfield, MO about 25 years ago with their primary facility. If you ever get to Springfield, MO, you gotta check it out. Acres of sporting goods.

F. Prefect