Find
Notify
Tools

.308 with 143 gr BTFMJ: looking for load data
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi guys,

Having once been gently chided for failing to make full use of this forum's resources, I'm asking this question on the assumption that someone's already been here.

I'm looking for tried and tested loads data for my newly acquired (collecting it on Monday ) Tikka Supersport h/b .308.

I have supply of 143 grain btfmjs and currently have H4350, H335 and H380 in stock from other rifles. Using one of these isn't a must - it'll just let me get started sooner than if I need to mail order in another powder.

Oh yes - the target is anywhere from 100 to 1000 metres.

Loads for red deer can wait.....

------------------

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete:
Hi guys,

Having once been gently chided for failing to make full use of this forum's resources, I'm asking this question on the assumption that someone's already been here.

I'm looking for tried and tested loads data for my newly acquired (collecting it on Monday ) Tikka Supersport h/b .308.

I have supply of 143 grain btfmjs and currently have H4350, H335 and H380 in stock from other rifles. Using one of these isn't a must - it'll just let me get started sooner than if I need to mail order in another powder.

Oh yes - the target is anywhere from 100 to 1000 metres.

Loads for red deer can wait.....

PETE/ I usually use 4895 but the H335 meters well and 45.0 is good load.....BUT I haven't shot any of the fmjbt in my 40x....you have a first class gun but the 147 aren't best for the longer ranges you are describing....168 and 175 do better for me and are listed in "match list" most often...but if you already have them give them a go...most accurate fps is often quoted as 2550 +/- fps and you should be in the neighborhood at that level....this is in commerical brass or military LC..... start a little lower if you are using military or heavy comm. brass.....good luck and good shooting!!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Jeff S>
posted
IMR 4895 or Hodgdon's Varget will do a nice job with that bullet. It should be an OK round out to 300 meters. Beyond that the military FMJs do not generally have the manufacturing tolerances that promote accurate flight and they tend to loose their ability to stabilize. For 600 to 1,000 yards the 175 grain Sierra Match king is a good choice as is the 190 grain Match King.
In my experience the 168s fly pretty awful beyond 500 yards and at 1,000 I've seen lots of keyholes with the 168s as they usually go sub-sonic around 900 yards.