Find
Notify
Tools

So now I'm a hoarder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted
Local components exhibitor at weekend gun shows (side business in retirement to the tune of 200K in merchandise so far this year alone) had Federal 215's, sold only by the thou. I bought one box for WAY too much money, but now I can peacefully reload for years to come.

I'd swap a couple hundred for CCI 200's as needed for my non-magnum loading. Of course, you'd have to come to the Brazosport area.

Cheers!

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a thousand primers well last you years yep you are a hoarder. Hell Winkany good active shooter well have that many shot up in a year or less.

Why would you hoard them. What to you call the guys with tens of thousands of just one type then have them in all sizes.

My FFL holder just ordered 100000 lots of people calling him all ready he is all set to make money.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timing is everything.....too late to hoard primers or gold. People are not thinking about the upcoming Tornado & Hurricane seasons, I'm gonna hoard plywood and generators....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter, good luck to your friend with the ffl and his order for 100000 primers. I work at a large sporting goods store in Billings, MT. We can't get primers from anywhere. All our suppliers are out. I checked today. We have purchase orders in to cci, federal, remington, and winchester. These po's are a couple of months old. Nothing but a few trickle in at a time from our local supplier. We will get several thousand at a time, but they don't last long. One guy spots them on the shelf, and they are history. We even heard that Wolf from Russia had primers. Tried that route, no luck there either.

Posts: 29 | Location: Montana | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
... sold only by the thou. I bought one box for WAY too much money, but now I can peacefully reload for years to come.

Cheers!

1000? hoarding?
jumping
That's not even a serious weekend reloading ...
Seriously, 100 a month is a light shooting month .. 1K aint 6 months MOST of the time...

1000 doesn't make you a hoarder, pal.. makes your a determined reloader!!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Darn last count I was closer to 10,000. dancing. But then again it is me and the wife. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
... sold only by the thou. I bought one box for WAY too much money, but now I can peacefully reload for years to come.

Cheers!

1000? hoarding?
jumping
That's not even a serious weekend reloading ...
Seriously, 100 a month is a light shooting month .. 1K aint 6 months MOST of the time...

1000 doesn't make you a hoarder, pal.. makes your a determined reloader!!

Big Grin

A trip to the range means 1000 rounds fired - if Larry & Curly come too then that could be a few thousand rounds fired in a session ...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
At 102 grains of H4831SC a pop the .416 Rigby reloading must be parcelled out. I don't want to wear out my .375 Wby before I can take it buff hunting. My .300 H&H sorta the same thing -- an old 721. That leaves the wife shooting her re-barreled .270 Wby Mag only infrequently. By the time I practice with 7x64 and .280 Remington every so often I may go through a few hundred CCI 200s in a year's time.

I reload to find accurate loads for hunting (so that probably makes me not so much a reloader as a handloader).

Barry

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I inventoried a couple of weeks ago what I had.....have about 160,000 primers....And I don't consider that hording...

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
I inventoried a couple of weeks ago what I had.....have about 160,000 primers....And I don't consider that hording...

Mac

If you live in town,you can bet your neighbors ,fire and police departments do. shhhhh.....

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At a gun show I saw an un issued unfired WWII vintage Ishevek 91/30 for $60 asking.

I told the guy that he can't sell it that cheap, or I will have to buy it.

He said he has been getting rid of everything he does not use, and feels better than he ever has before.

I believed him, but I bought the rifle.

A couple years later, I still haven't shot it either.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I just checked -- I only had 8400 fed 215's. I need to buy a couple more thousand. I hope I can still find them for $32 a thousand.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 3000 reloaded rounds, plus or minus a few hundred yearly. The scarcity of primers about 10 years ago taught me a lesson. I now try to have a four year supply on hand at any one time. I shoot only Federal 205, 210M and 215M, mostly the latter two. This is the third period of primer shortage I have been through since I started shooting this much. If you want to call that hoarding, so be it. I have helped my fellow reloaders on many occasions, when they were short. They call me their Primer Bank, and that suits me fine. The amazing thing is the increase in cost per 1000, over the last five years. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I dont consider my self a hoarderbut.
Ikeep about 10,000 mixed lot of primers on hand. at a gun show, paid $35 for 1000 winchester large rifle. couple months ago at another gun show I found a 1000 ww 8 1/2 120 for $18.00..good buy.. some of the federal and cci primers were going for nearly $40 a 1000

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoarding is good in my book. What's more important to me that I have lots of primers or if you have lots of primers? duh.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
AAHHHH! So that's where all the primers went! animal

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jffrybrght
posted Hide Post
you guys look at Gunbroker in the reloading section lately?

Some "horders" are getting rich, and even more....people are buying them.

Jeff

Posts: 411 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The last time I ordered primers it was 500,000.

It is a combination of RWS small rifle and large rifle, Federal 205M, 210M and 215. Plus CCI small and large pistol, and 209 shotgun.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68689 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Purchasing primers for the future needs is rather like divesting your stock portfolio of non performing stocks. It is the wise thing to do, more so now in light of gubmint efforts to spend us out of debt.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Glad to see that I'm not the only one with a pile of primers ,50,000.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those that didn't beat the rush....feel free to use the scratch & sniff feature on your keyboard.

(Unfortunately they're not mine)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The last time I ordered primers it was 500,000.

It is a combination of RWS small rifle and large rifle, Federal 205M, 210M and 215. Plus CCI small and large pistol, and 209 shotgun.

Did actually get any?
I could order a million and get nothing today.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I brought the Gander mt stock of primers during one of their moving sales.

I avg 12.50 a thousand just a smart move.

But if one does any amout of shooting even 10000 primers will not last very long 2000 rds a year 5 years ect ect.

Hoarding is having more then one can use or sell.

I have nothing against people making money on or using their stuff.

Hoarding is just stuip get the stuff out there you don't need. The more out there the harder it is to take away the more people involved the harder to take it all.

Sell it give it away help some one else get started.Take some one shooting teach them to reload.

A box of 22s teaching some one who hasn't shot a gun before well go a lot farther then having it stuck in some place.

How much does one need who knows that up to you.

Have a great day and go shooting.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Y'all are killing me. All I needed was a couple hundred GM215Ms but no -- they are all in all of y'all's hoards. I paid almost five bucks a box for Fed 215s and had to, to be supplied. Ain't whining, tho I could...

One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Y'all are killing me. All I needed was a couple hundred GM215Ms but no -- they are all in all of y'all's hoards. I paid almost five bucks a box for Fed 215s and had to, to be supplied. Ain't whining, tho I could...
+1 on that Cool

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
Damn I thought my 5700 was a stockpile!!!!

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote