New
Find
Notify
Tools

Took the plunge....RCBS reloading kit
 Login/Join

<Ben S>
posted
I'm new to the forum, but happy to have found it.

After much deliberation and reading of posts here, I finally decided to get the RCBS Master Reloading kit from Natchez Shooters Supply. I think I finally got tired of paying $31/box of premium ammo for my 300 Winchester. At the range that can get expensive fast!!

No real point to this post just wanted to say I joined the reloading fold and hoping to save a little cash so that I may shoot a little more.

Ben

<ultramag>
posted
I think you will be very happy w/ the RCBS kit. Things probably won't get any cheaper, but you sure can shoot more.

------------------
May your chambers be true to your bores.

<lns>
posted
>>I joined the reloading fold and hoping to save a little cash so that I may shoot a little more.<,

I dont think we <save> money by reloading,but we sure shoot more!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own the same kit and it has given me a lot of enjoyment loading my own ammo. There is something satifying about it, and it is an extension of your shooting hobby.

Hope you have a good time with it.

Regards PC

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<2ndaryexplosioneffect>
posted
Ben,

I�ve Ben reloading for 30-40 years :-) Forget the price savings� that is a myth to tell mama when you need more reloading stuff. Listen to everyone, believe know one, learn the danger signs, but most of all, learn your machine (reloading and rifle).

Anyone can have a lucky day at the range and shoot a good group. When you start to understand what makes your particular gun shoot, the way you want it to shoot, and you cannot duplicate the results with off-the-self ammo, you are a reloader.

Guys spend thousand of dollars on a �hunt� and cannot get the shooting satisfaction some of us do from putting 5 holes touching each other on a 100-yard target. Don�t get me wrong�we kill a lot of stuff too :-)

Shoot safe,
Mike

<.>
posted
At the risk of boring everyone to death, here are photos and a discussion of my reload bench area. It's in the end of the garage.

Lots of ideas from lots of time spent working out the kinks. My first rule in building a "bench" is . . .

HOME DEPOT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER THAN THE GUN SHOP!!!

I pick up ammo blocks at the range -- plastic inserts in 9mm and 45 ACP ammo boxes. I also pick up the boxes.

Plastic containers are FREE . . . yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream, laundry soap.

Thrift stores have pans . . . bread pans, cake pans. Also slotted spoons for separating bullets from powder.

I use a plastic dish tub and a hand carry grocery basket from Safeway (sue me!) for separating media from brass.

Anyhow . . . here's the way I do it:

http://pages.chatropolis.com/bars/genghiskahn/bench.html

You'll note that ALL my stuff is RCBS. I think you done good!

<atlasmlc>
posted
Hey Genghis...
Is that a homemade tumbler on the shelf? Interesting looking thing, Tell me more about it...I might want to make one similar to it.

Thanks

------------------
Happy Hunting

<auto>
posted
You will save money! Your brass is reusable, so it doesn't cost anything after the first loading. The bullets may cost a penny or two each, and the primers maybe a couple of cents, and the powder amount varies, but you can divide your load amout by 7000 grains per pound, and then figure that out to a couple omre pennies per load. I don't count my time, as this is a great hobby for me. So, where can I buy .300 weatherby cartridges for less than $5.00 a box? The store where I go sells them for about $40.00 a box. I also reload my shotgun shells for about $2.37 a box of 25. I use the hulls over about 8 times. There is a savings in reloading. When I buy a new gun, I always buy a set of dies, some brass, and a box of 100 bullets in the caliber and weight I want to shoot. Then I go home and load for that gun. I haven't bought a box of loaded ammo for over 25 years.

<pistoleero>
posted
quote:
finally decided to get the RCBS Master Reloading kit

Is that the one with the Rockchucker or the Turret Press? Either way, RCBS makes quality gear. Anything ever goes wrong, just give 'em a call and at the worst you pay for shipping.

<Ben S>
posted
Pistoleero,

That's with the Rockchucker single stage press.

Thanks to the others who responded.

Ben

<pistoleero>
posted
The rockchucker's a damn fine starter press. As you get more into it (as we all invariably do), you might consider their Turret Press. You can fix a set of dies on a turret head and rotate it for each stage. It beats screwing dies in and out and recalibrating them each time. It also allows you to keep multiple calibers preset, as you can change the turret heads out.

Happy reloading!