Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 ACP Reloading
 Login/Join

posted
I have recently purchased a Kimber 1911 in 45 ACP, and want to start reloading for it. So far I have some Winchester 230gr FMJ bullets and CCI primers. I use a Wilson case trimmer and LEE carbide dies. The powders I have are Unique, Bullseye, Green Dot, Red Dot, and Blue Dot. What are some good loads using these powders with the bullets I have? I plan to use my reloads for practice, plinking, and animal self-defense.

Also, what other bullets and loads would be good for plinking while maintaining accuraccy and staying fairly inexpensive. I would like to use the powders I already have, but are there any other powders I absolutly need to buy?

Thanks alot.

Posts: 9 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I shoot buckets full of 230gr LRN and LTC ammo through my Kimber. I use 5.0gr bullseye with my home cast bullets.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a lot of Unique behind 200 - 230 gr. cast bullets and have found it very accurate, though is does burn a little dirty. I've even used Green Dot and 452 AA with good results.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Kimber 1911 45ACP I use only Accurate No 5 & 7 depending on the bullet.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
230gr cast with 5.5gr of red dot

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
All the powders you have will work. Unique is great for all bullet wieghts. BlueDot is usefull in +p applications, RedDot & Bullseye are good for target loads. My working load is 6gr of Unique under 230grJHP. It goes about 850fps from a 5". Hard cast lead bullets work great in the .45acp & a 230grLFP would be a good choice for gen.purp. animal, SD load.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brandon,
Excluding Blue Dot, everything you listed is first rate for the 45 ACP, however, the more you shoot, the more you will develop strong preferences. Blue Dot makes a fine full power powder with 200 & 230 grain reloads, but isn't the best choice for multi-purpose loading. Also, there is no doubt that Unique is the single best powder for the venerable 45 being suitable for full power jacketed and lead bullet loads, and as a bonus, it has the perfect pressure/velocity ratio for 1911 type pistols.
If you have an eye toward economy don't skimp with small powder charges, rather look toward lead. Developing velocities below 1000f/s, any standard weight lead bullet will work great in the 45 ACP.