New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray AtkinsonI need your help
 Login/Join

<Jim Lawrence>
posted
I am having a 338-06AI built for a son of mine. I know you are not fond of wilcats. However, I need to know a couple things about them. First is the 06 part of the cartridge designation refer to the size of the bullet. Thus 3.08 or a 30/06 bullet. What does the 338 stand for? The size of the shell in diameter? Can a 338-06AI case chamber through a 30/06 chamber? Can a 338-06 barrel be put on a 30/06AI rifle and shoot it without major alterations? Thank You whether you answer or not. I enjoy your input to this forum.

------------------

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Jim, I know this was addressed to RA. The 338-06 is based on the 30-06 case which is then neck expanded to load .338 bullets. Since it is a 338 bullet you will only be able to use the ones you load for it. The 30-06 should not be fired in it or the reverse. The action could fit it depends on barrel contour and the type of action. The AI portion stands for "Ackley Improved" meaning a different shoulder angle and that the case ia blown out to straight instead of a tapered on. The cases will have to be fire formed in your son's rifle.Check with one of the reloading manuals( Nosler or Speer) for how to do this.Sorry for butting in.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob1, about said it all...what is a concern to me is that if you have to ask these very basic questions then are you sure that you are ready for the fireforming, reloading of such a round, you may, in fact, be in for an eye openning experience.

If I were you, I'd seriously consider the standard 338 Win. which will do EVERYTHING the 338-06AI will do and on the same action and at the same recoil levels, don't ever believe that the 338-06 recoils less than the 338 Win. thats just bunk, it does. You can load the 338 down just a bit and duplicate the 338-06AI or up a lot and beat the socks off it.I have been both routes, hunted extensively with both and I'm a definate 338 Win. fan.

You are correct in the fact that I'm not much on wildcats and the reason being is that they have nothing to offer but fun and games and I've been there, its an expensive hobby. the only difference in men and boys is the cost of mens toys is the truth of wildcating today...I was as guilty of that as the next guy in my younger days, but like most wildcaters I came to the conclusion that there is just no place to honestly go with it.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also, why not put the subject of your post, in the subject line of your post?

That would encourage more answers than just pleading for one particular person. Many people on this forum could have answered your question.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I'd agree with the other sentiments expressed here...

I think your going way too fast, playing the wildcat game. Slow down, read as much material on the subject as your can get your hands on, and do this project a few months from now.

The fact is, that wildcats are not games! Your dealing with a lot of pressure, contained in a metal shell (rifle and brass), all going off right in front of a very pointy shaped bolt. Get it wrong just once, and that bolt may end up embedded in your sons skull! That's worse case scenerio, but it would be very possible to have a slightly less deadly accident. It does happen! Usually to people who try this stuff without enough basic knowledge of what's going on.

To be blunt, the info contained in you posts on this subject cause me to believe that you fall in that catagory right now.

Do some studying, post a lot more questions here. I love to listen while the experts (I'm not one) answer these questions, I almost always learn something new. It won't take but a couple/three months, and you'll be ready to do this project.

Sounds like you have a very lucky son!

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim:

I understand that your questions on the .338-06 were directed to Ray, and also that perhaps by now anything I can add to the other answers may be too late.

First, the .338-06 is just a .30-06 that shoots .338 bullets. The real advantage over the .30-06 is that heavier .338 bullets can be used for it, starting somewhere around 225 grains. As you may already know, 220-grain bullets for the .30-06 are on the �heavy for caliber� end, so using the fatter and heavier .338 bullets, at least in my view, is a great idea. The heavier bullets do not necessarily increase recoil to worry about, specially if you stay with the �plain� .338-06 A-Square, now produced by Weatherby. Now, if you lighten your .338-06 so it weights lest say�6 pounds, it will feel to you like it kicks much more than a 8-pound .338-06. Weatherby�s .338-06 A-Square weights under 6 pounds, but it has a well designed stock and recoil pad to tame recoil. I believe Weatherby sells loaded ammo for their .338-06 ( it should be expensive,too).

You can also shoot lightweight .338 bullets with a .338-06, from 160 grains, to perhaps 225-grain bullets. However that would make the .338-06 more of a .30-06. These bullets may be lighter, but are still capable of punching a slightly larger hole than .30-06 bullets. Nothing wrong with that.

If you select a .338-06 AI, you will also have to purchase the proper dies for it, while �plain� .338-06 dies are manufactured by RCBS, Redding, and others. It does not mean that you can�t get �AI� dies, but instead that the plain .338-06 dies are readily available.

I will agree with others that the �Improved� versions of any cartridge makes reloading a little complicated and even dangerous. But if you can get the specific reloading data for the �AI� or your choice and observe or adhere to all safety precautions, then it should not be a problem. Of course, I will assume that you already reload. If you are not an experienced reloader, I would advise to you to build a .338-06 instead of an improved version. Reloading data for the .338-06 is available in just about any data manual, but it is not so for �improved� versions.

My favorite cartridge is the .338 Magnum and that's what I use in Alaska, but I was bitten by the �wildcat� thing long ago. The .338-06 may not longer be a wildcat, but is close enough to it that it can be viewed as such. The best part about the .338-06 is that you can send any bolt action .30-06 to Pac-Nor, E.R.-Shaw and others, and for under $300.00 turn the rifle into a .338-06. Reloading for it would be a great idea, specially if you wanted to get your son involved in such things.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Jim Lawrence>
posted
To Ray: Thank You.

<Jim Lawrence>
posted

guys, I am not a novice in the art of reloading. I got to thinking today and just got confused. I have several Ackley Improved rifles. The rifle that I was talking about was a Winchester Model 70 that I wanted to have rebarrelled to a 338-06 then one day restore it back to a Winchester Model 70 Pre WWII. Serial # 34600. This work can be done safly and with the original stock. For less than $1000 I can have one hell of an elk rifle complete with all the trimmings. Where you guys got the idea that I knew nothing about reloading I have no idea. When I do have a question I normally come to this web site and ask a question. Mr. Atkinson, don't worry. I believe I have pulled the handle of more bullet seaters than most of the crew that shares your condescending attitude. If I am misjudging you I am sorry. Don't be afraid for me, be afraid for the ones that think they know everything. Maybe they should become gunsmiths!! Jim

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
WOW!

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does the 338 stand for? The size of the shell in diameter? Can a 338-06AI case chamber through a 30/06 chamber?

Am I missing something or is cutting back on my smoking have some impact that is greater than I am aware of

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Mike375,

Geez! Talk about a miracle turn around! Guess I got fooled by that one too!

Now it appears I'm a bad guy on some "crew" with "condescending attitudes"('s)!

Some days it doesn't pay to respond...

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 12-09-2001).]

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Jim,
That was uncalled for! They were only answering YOUR questions with honest answers

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Jim Lawrence>
posted
Hello: My name is Jim Lawrence and I made a big mistake today. The main people I have misbehaved to I have written personal apologies to. To everyone else I apologize to you as well. I had no call to act as I did. I wish I could do more to help this situation. If I could take it back I would in a moment. I enjoy this forum and learn a great deal from it. In fact, I learn in a week on this forum what I would learn in a year somewhere else.
I am a gun reloader but nothing else. I reload for the few guns that I have and I am not a gun maker of any sort. I guess my pride was hurt when this was brought to my attention. Again, I apologize for my adolescent behavior. I wouldn't want either one of my sons to act that way so I must not either. So to everyone that read my posts in this forum today I ask your forgiveness. Short of that I hope you will allow me to take part in your general conversations. I wish there was more I could do. If you think of any write me a note. I have already beat myself up over this thing pretty good. Thank You and thanks for the great forum. Jim Lawrence rober1400c@mindspring.com

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Jim-

In spite of your apology, I still need to respond. You claim to have more experience than most of us. But you ask some rookie, and potentially dangerous, questions? As Mike375 above highlighted, you don't know what diameter bullet is in a 338-06? Go ahead & cram a 338-06 AI into a standard 30-06 chamber. You may need a hammer to close the bolt. You claim to have lots of Ackley experience. Would you try to stuff a 30-06 AI into a standard 30-06 chamber?

I may have let this ride, but I happened to read your "What the hell is a 22 CHeetah" thread first. That post was nothing but spitting back in everyone's face.

Ask a question, we'll try to help. Throw an attitude & you'll get one straight back at ya...

<Bill>
posted
This is starting to sound like WT reappeared

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
A cash contribution of at least 5 figures, deposited in my banking account, would enable me to offer my forgiveness...

Now, say 3 Hail Marys, 3 Our Fathers, and make a good Act of Contrition...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Jim Lawrence>
posted
OK guys, you got me. I tried the 338 bullet and it wouldn't fit my 30/06 even with my mallet. You win and today I loose. I can only say I'm sorry again. Give me time and I'll prove my worth if I can. Jim

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Ya just gotta get a bigger hammer...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Bill, who is WT? Or do I want to know? sure-shot

<Bill>
posted
maybe I should have abbreviated it WET, a former moderator who had multiple personalities, I am not quite sure what the story was, but one day he attacked Ray and a few other memebers, really weird stuff

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Bill may be right. When I read through this it seemed really strange to me too, as if a child had signed on as a member and were playing games.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Its ok, maybe your just suffering from PHS(Post Hunting Syndrome) It happens to the best of us.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
LE270,

check out the similar thred under gunsmithing. my guess is WET reborn, at any rate, something is very, very fishy.

<Jim Lawrence>
posted
To anyone who I offended. I really am sorry. I just got carried away.I think I got that PHS or whatever it was. Why don't all you fine people gang up on me and just really let me have it. I really do just want to be friends with others who like the same things I do. I don't know much about rifles and less about pistols. I am safe though and that should count for something. My sons are safe as well. I don't want to "play" Should something come up that I know something about I'll give you an honest answer. Whatever it takes I'll gladely do to show my genuine interest in becomming friends with you all. I would like a little respect but if it takes awhile to get it then so be it. Take care and best wishes through the holidays. James Lawrence

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Jim (or Cody Or Latigo or WET whoever you are this time)-

How many times are you going to say "I'm sorry, really I am", then change your mind and launch into some rant?

As for ganging up on you, no, I'm finished with you. The group here will not be drawn down to your level of "really let me have it". Go get your jollies somewhere else.

You've gone from "I know more & I've pulled more reloading press handles than most of you", to "I don't know much...". Which is it gonna be?

As for whatever it takes, refer to my above line. Take your games elsewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Lawrence:
I really am sorry...

Why don't all you fine people gang up on me and just really let me have it...

I don't know much about rifles and less about pistols...

Whatever it takes I'll gladely do to show my genuine interest in becomming friends with you all...

<BigBores>
posted
I would like to wade in here...maybe to my own peril??

Come on guys, I know he got out of line, but he has appologized. Let's let it ride and give him the benifit of the doubt. We don't want to start sounding like that OTHER forum, now do we?? Everyone deserves another chance. If he really is who you think he is...he will show his true colors soon enough. If he really is who he says he is, he has, I'm sure, learned his lesson and will not repeat it. Right? Time will tell either way.

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Sounds like a daytime soap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone deserves another chance if a guy learn the art of politeness...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Sorry I asked guys, I remember now. sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hallo!
I just tuned into this soap opera. JL sounds like he is all WET, or ET, or something strange. Never mind, let me butt out now.

------------------
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Jim Lawrence>
posted
Hi Guys: Just wanted to check in with my friends If I can perform a service just by being the topic of critisism then I by God am worth while after all. You gentlemen have a nice day and I'll try to keep out of your way. But, I will be reading what you write so I might learn something. And, I'm serious!!! Jim (maybe I need a nick name?) Not too bad though

<Steve in MI>
posted
WOW!!!!!!.... All I can say is WOW. I have read the post at gunsmith, seems like two ..no maybe three different people are writing thoses post's.

<TGWoody>
posted
JL,

It takes a big man with broad sholders to take some of the punishment that you recieved to say "I'm Sorry", You may have started it, but you also you faced up to it.
I just got out of a 6 hour court cluster F#$# with months of prep, and even the winners lose.

The lesson I learn today: No matter how bad the other side procieves you, or what you did to recieve the punishment, ,, step back and EVERYONE should say (Now repeat after me!)

Weather you are right or wrong, it doesn't mather, it's how we do it that make the difference.

Hang in there JL

I agree with over.40 "PHS" :~), maybe I have PHS also. .. I better tell my wife.

<Jim Lawrence>
posted
TGWOODY and others, thanks. Jim Lawrence