New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Weatherby Pet Loads
 Login/Join

<DOC>
posted
Does anyone have any favorite loads that might save me some time with load development for 300 Wby? Any suggestions or comments?

DOC

<Phil R>
posted
Doc,
My .300 Weatherby is partial to 85gr. of IMR7828 with 180gr bullets.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have had Excellent results with IMR7828 and 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tips or Partition bullets.. I use 85.0grs in one rifle and 85.5 in another... I also use Remington brass and Federal 215 primers..

Good Luck!!!!!

Posts: 193 | Location: AR | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Okie Newton>
posted
H4831 80 grains. 180 gain nosler partition or the remington core-lokt

------------------
Keep yer powder dry

<Patch>
posted
I shoot an old Remington 700 Classic that came out in 1989. It has a 24" barrel. With a Leupold 4.5-14X on it I have shot several 1 1/2" three-shot groups at 300yds. testing my hunting loads. The load consist of 86.0grs. of RL22 and a 180gr. Speer Grand Slam. Velocity at 46 degrees is 3292fps. This load is over max in any book but the fired cases fall out of my chamber with no sticky bolt lift or pressure signs. Start at least 5grs. back and work up.
In my hunble opinion,the Grand Slam is one of the most underated bullets around. I have shot a lot of game with this load from deer up through a couple of very big elk. No problems. In just about everything else I own I shoot Barnes X-Bullets but I wouldn't change this load for anything!

<Patch>
posted
I shoot an old Remington 700 Classic that came out in 1989. It has a 24" barrel. With a Leupold 4.5-14X on it I have shot several 1 1/2" three-shot groups at 300yds. testing my hunting loads. The load consist of 86.0grs. of RL22 and a 180gr. Speer Grand Slam. Velocity at 46 degrees is 3292fps. This load is over max in any book but the fired cases fall out of my chamber with no sticky bolt lift or pressure signs. Start at least 5grs. back and work up.
In my humble opinion,the Grand Slam is one of the most underated bullets around. I have shot a lot of game with this load from deer up through a couple of very big elk. No problems. In just about everything else I own I shoot Barnes X-Bullets but I wouldn't change this load for anything!

<Delta Hunter>
posted
Patch, that sounds like a really hot load, but it obviously works for you. Like you, I am also very impressed with the Grand Slam bullet. The last time I was at the range with my .300 Weatherby (Sako 75 rifle) I shot six 3 shot groups using 180 grain Grand Slams, 84.5 grains of IMR 7828, Norma brass, and Fed 215 primers. At 100 yards my groups averaged less than 1/2 inch, the best measuring .387". I'll be using these this fall for sure. I've also had good luck with H1000 (89 grains with 180 gr. bullets).

<Hoghead>
posted
Doc, I use 85 gr of RL 25 for a avarage of 3200fps.
Hoghead
quote:
Originally posted by DOC:
Does anyone have any favorite loads that might save me some time with load development for 300 Wby? Any suggestions or comments?

DOC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this!

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=572&id=45

Mike

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Pumba>
posted
DOC,

I would like to suggest that you try the following:

- Weatherby or Norma brass (not Remington)
- Federal 215 or 215M primers
- 200 grain Nosler Partition, Swift A-Frame, or Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet
- IMR-7828 powder: Start off at 79.0 grains and fire three-shot groups increasing your powder charge in 0.5 grain increments (not 1.0 grain increments), until you find a safe, accurate load.

Good Hunting !