New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front Rest?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this on another forum - no responce so I will try here. I need a front rest for load testing. I do not think that I need the expensive models that the bench rest guys use, but I do not want cheap junk that I will not be satisfied with. What do you suggest as adequate for my purposes - Hart, Bald Eagle, Sinclair etc.? Which model, which top, what type bags?

one of us
posted Hide Post
They all work just fine, If you want to save money get the cheapest one..Actually a bunch of sandbags is just as good as anything, just more trouble...and the bags seem to have better return to position than many of the set ups.

I have the latest and most expensive one out that hooks to the front of the bench bench and it hasn't improved my shooting one bit, but it sure sucks up the recoil..I shot a 505 Gibbs off it and it felt like a 30-30 in recoil...If I had one of these babies back when, then my bursitis would be a lot less today...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guy,

For a front rest i have always used what looks like a U but flat or sqaure on the bottom. It is about 6 inches wided and 3 inches deep and of course is welded to stand.

I usually put in 2 bags to form a V and the V over laps the sides of the U so that if the rifle jumps up in recoil, it does not hit the steel sides.

I have found the V arrangement for the bags to give the nicest rest.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Sinclair All Purpose Rest item #04-2610 $230
sure-shot

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
A 25-pound bag of lead shot...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
I have a Bald Eagle standard rest. Not exactly cheap at $210, but I have not regretted it and I will never need to buy another front rest. MM

<George Foster>
posted
GuyG,

I used a Hoppes front rest for quite a few years and then this year I bought a Midway deluxe front rest for about $80. I really like it with the forend stop on it but as Mr. Atkinson said I don't really think it improved my shooting all that much.

Good Shooting,
George

<Bill T>
posted
I agree with Montana Marine on this one. I fought with a cheap Hoppes front rest for years and finally bit the bullet and bought a Bald Eagle Deluxe Windage Front Rest, and a leather Bald Eagle Rear Rest as well. They were worth every penny! If you buy them from Precision Reloading, www.precisionreloading.com both front and rear bags come already filled with sand, and your rest is range ready right from the box. This is a really nice feature because filling bags is a pain. This setup isn't cheap, but quality seldom is. Once you have it you'll be glad you spent the extra money on a good setup. It's foolish to spend hours at the loading bench making everything right, only to have to fight a lousy rest set up at the range. This really helps in shooting good groups. Bill T.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once you decide on which rest you want, it is important to get a sand bag top that fits your forend...if you are shooting a typical sporter you will want the smallest one they make...they make about 3 or 4 different sizes . Get the one made from cordura rather than tanned leather as the rifles seem to slide a little better on them. You will also need a rear bag for the butt stock ..... you might as well go all the way.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Bill T>
posted
The only thing to be cautious about with Cordura rest bags is they WILL scratch high gloss finish stocks like Weatherby and Browning. Not badly, but they will scratch. Precision Reloading even makes mention of this in their catalog, or used to. I have a lot of rifles equipped with these type of stocks, so that is why I chose Top Grain Leather. No scratches for me. Bill T.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I know they are called sand bags, but I fill the bags with lead shot. It makes for a sturdier system. I like the lead bags, and you can put some talcum powder on the front rest if the rifle does not slide freely.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Santa Claus>
posted
Another vote for bald eagle front rests. I also received mine from precision reloading.
Worth every penny