New
Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Rigby-How Hot is Hot
 Login/Join

<Crash>
posted
I am thinking about buying CZ 550 in .416 Rigby. Though the Remington is more economical in factory loadings, the Rigby has so much more potential due to the larger case. Realizing that maximum loadings are rifle specific, generally, how fast can the Rigby be loaded before pressure signs become significant.

<Kerry.S>
posted
Just use new brass and load it up a friend of mine loads a 400 grain to 2500 fps with 110 grains of R22 powder. and this is just get hot. But what I want to know is why do you want to rattle your teeth lose for? the animal you shoot won't care if the bullet hits him at 2300 fps or 2600 fps and don't say it's to get a flat trajectory either because it will take a lot of powder to get the bullet path looking like something other than a rainbow.
You do what you want but I just don't see the reason to punish yourself with recoil like that.
Kerry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Layne simpson did an article on the Rigby in Rifle? Handloader? Anyway....he loaded it up to near .416 Wby Mag levels, its a BIG case. I agree with Kerry S, You just don't need high velocity. I had a Ruger 77 in Rigby and when I loaded for it you could tell a big jump in recoil with each additional 100 fps. 2400 fps with 400's is just fine.

FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
One of the main reasons the 416 Rigby has such a good reputation is because the 400 grain bullet at about 2400 fps is ideal with regards to penetration and bullet performance. Every PH I've ever spoken with urged me not to load the Rigby any hotter thereby trying to fix something that aint broke! There's plenty of recoil at 2400 fps but the pressures are way low--that way you don't have to worry about extraction problems when something big and mean is in your face!
Good Hunting,

------------------
Andy Cooper

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
I have loaded my 416 Rigby to 2700 fps with a 410 Wooleigh. I did not get any signs of pressure. I will not say what the charge was, but I was using IMR 4350 and it was moderately compressed.

The CZ should be able to achieve these velocities easily since it has a 25 inch barrel. My rifle's barrel is only 24".

With the light bullets (300 gr & 325 gr) I have found that IMR 4064 will provide good velocities also. Again I will not state the charges.

All that said the previous posters have stated some valid points. Unless you are using a high ballistic coefficient bullet such as a Barnes X the added velocity does not flaten out the trajectory all that much. Additionally, the flatter trajectory means nothing if your rifle isn't extremely accurate.

Todd E

<Crash>
posted
Thanks for the replies, and I appreciate your concerns for my health! Though I am not particularly recoil sensitive, I do have feelings, I'm only human! And if it rattles my teeth, I just take them out! :^)

The key word here is potential, and from these posts, I gather that the .416 rigby has been pushed to 2700 Fps and is frequently loaded around 2500. I once had a car that could do over 130 mph, but seldom did I drive it over 75. I did get it up to 120 once, but the recoil got to me! :^)

Thanks once again.

Crash

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crash, I have reloaded my Rigby with Norma Brass and woodleigh 410 gr soft noses to just above 2700 fps and just begun to get pressure signs with 1 of the cases, I have only eight pieces of Norma Brass and 75 Bertram cases and from all accounts the Bertram Brass is suppossed to be extrmely soft, it did feel softer in the dies. For that reason I have loaded 6 rounds and backed off 3 grains of powder, by all accounts this should bring me back to the 2600 fps mark, for saftey reasons I will also load some lower than this while sighting in (just put my scope on), to get it on the board and test my loads, I hope the Bertram Brass copes with the charge thats 3 grains below the Norma stuff, if it does I will stick with that load. When I have found the load with no pressure signs I will do final zeroing then. Recoil was stiff at 2700, it also cracked my stock. I wish in hindsight that I had all Norma Brass. If anyone else is loading Bertram Rigby Brass could the let me know how it is going. In answering your question my friend and I both bought cz Rigby's as they had a little more versatlity power wise as well, and it has a bit of history associated with it. The extra weight of the action which many criticise is a good thing for us we like heavy guns, and the cz feels strong and solid. I have placed a custom fiberglass stock reinforced with kevlar and carbon fibre on my cz .416 and it is now my favourite gun. I get it out everyday and day dream about the game I am meant to hunt with it, in that respect it is already given me heaps of enjoyment. As one gun author stated "It just would not be right stopping a charging buffalo in your living room with a model 94 30/30".

Get that cz .416 and you will be very happy, just either get the stock bedded and attended to if you plan not to replace it or it may crack. Even if you replace the stock your still infront as far as value for money goes. Hope this has helped a bit long I know.

Regards Pc.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mads>
posted
Crazh - essentialy the .416 weatherby is a Rigby with belt. So you can match weatherby loads in a Rigby (More or less). But I have to give the guys that they are on to something regarding the purpose for more than 2400 fps? About the increased velocity and bullet selection you must be carefull! 400 grains Hornadys work well at 2350 fps, but at 2500 fps they come a part. I've loaded some Rigbys - and in the beginning I used a lot of powder 104 grains H4350 and 102 grains Norma 204 - but now i stay with 98 grains and A-frames!

PC - have you shot any game with your mentioned load with 410 grains Woodleighs and 2700fps? My exsperience tells my that the woodleighs are good bullet - but not at velocities they weren't inteded for? I would susspect that the 410 graisn woodleigh were intended for around 2400 fps?

Please tell you exsperiences!

Regards

Mads

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC
Were you using an ar powder? If so what was the load?

I see on the Woodleigh web site he is now making a 416 MKII bullet that has a thicker jacket.

Have you tried the Taipan 416 400 grn my friend did in his 416 weatherby improved and they didn't exit skippy. They were 2750fps loads though. I intend to run my barrel in with these bullets as they are $16 for 25

Hopefully I will have my 416/505 in less than a month. Have been waiting 12 months now.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The way I see it, having a Rigby and not loading it up to its full potential at least once is like having a Farrari and never going over 60 mph because you didn't "need" to. This is not to say it will make for good hunting loads, I just wouldn't be able to help myself.

------------------
"Those who would give up essential liberty,
to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve
neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The powder I used was AR 2209 and my hottest load were I observed pressure was 108 grains. I have loaded 6 Bertram cases to 105 gr, and will load a few at 102 gr. I have not shot game with the woodleigh's (410gr) yet but they have toughened up there Jacket to cope with higher velocity's people tend to load to. I have only recently got this rifle but intend to use the woodleigh's on camels and feral horses in the future, I will post up the results of how these projectiles go.

I have shot a feral cat with the taipans as the gundealer had a few lying around, the cat bolted at my feet and I hit him at about 10-15 yards. The cat moved about 4 metres from were he was hit and he practically exploded. I missed a shot at skippy with them, before I had a scope on and for some reason my friends Rigby and mine were shooting very high with the irons. Probably hit that cat for this reason as I did not give him any forward lead.

416sw do you know were I could get a criming die for the .416 Rigby in Australia.

Regards PC.

------------------

[This message has been edited by PC (edited 01-23-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The gunsmith I'm using says he could make you a taper crimp die but not a roll crimp(like factory crimp). If you want his number I can email it to you. He looked up the LEE catalogue and they don't make a crimp die for the rigby.

was thinking of starting with 109grns 2209
how full was the case at 108?

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
I... intend to use the woodleigh's on camels and feral horses in the future.

I have shot a feral cat with the taipans as the gundealer had a few lying around... I missed a shot at skippy with them...

Regards PC.

These Aussies are out of control.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
416sw that number would be good as my projectiles are getting driven back into there cases and I'm not sure on setting the die for crimping.

The case is not quite to the neck with 108 gr of AR2209. Your probably on the right track with your load developemnt in that case (starting were the Rigby finishes).

Forrest B imagine if we had access to the firearms you Americans had, I would give anything for two of those street sweeper shotguns (chasing stuff in the ute would have a new meaning) and a Barrett semi auto .50 cal to take up to N.S.W.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have sent email.
Thanks for the powder level info.

I'm thinking an M60 mounted in the back of the ute would teach skippy a valuable lesson in not to eat the farmers grass.

Pigs and semi autos those were the days.

If my Government doesn't trust me with my guns why should I trust them with theirs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416SW:
The gunsmith I'm using says he could make you a taper crimp die but not a roll crimp(like factory crimp). If you want his number I can email it to you. He looked up the LEE catalogue and they don't make a crimp die for the rigby.

He didn't look in the right place. They'll make you a taper crimp die in anything if you send them a few cases. Nobody says it's a catalog item. It's a custom item that doesn't cost much and does what they say it will do. Check their web site.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote