THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cannelured Bullets and seating depths...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Short, squatty 150 gr. 30 cal RN's...how far out can they be seated? With spire points, I've never worried about not having enough bullet in the case neck...not so with the RN's.

Posts: 149 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that if you go ahead and use the cannelure and crimp the bullet you can find an accurate load by just adjusting your powder charge till you get the accuracy you are looking for.

Posts: 48 | Location: Mo. | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks...that's what I needed to know.

Alan

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I've found that often if neck tension is sufficient you only need about one caliber of seating depth (without crimp or cannelure) for the bullet to be secure even in tubular magazines. This may not apply with certain heavy hitters and I certainly would not use this system in a DGR or with the real heavy hitters.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hobie -

These are light '06 loads....30-30 velocities. I'm working on my offhand shooting at 100 yards and want (need) to shoot a lot of ammo to bring my groups down; light loads and inexpensive bulk bullets help.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks Hobie -

These are light '06 loads....30-30 velocities. I'm working on my offhand shooting at 100 yards and want (need) to shoot a lot of ammo to bring my groups down; light loads and inexpensive bulk bullets help.

It sure does!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote