Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What funnel to use
 Login/Join

posted
I was reloading my 5.56 cartridges today and when I was pouring the powder into the brass I had some powder that would not go into the brass. The funnel is a RCBS funnel with a .22 cal. fitting. The fitting goes on the outside of the brass. What do you guys do to prevent this from happening? Do they make a funnel that will fit in the hole of the case? I loaded my first 10 rifle rounds today and shot them with no problems so I am pretty excited to say the least. Thanks.

Posts: 10 | Location: Baton Rouge, La | Registered: 07 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a problem with .223 cases but I do when loading .17 Rem, I've found that if I tap or "thump" the case while pouring the powder, it runs right in. Some folks also touch the base of the case to a running vibratory case cleaner while charging the cases to make the powder flow better.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2805 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Never had that problem. I have a little red funnel, make unknown, and a gray set that includes different ends; I think it is Frankford Arsenal or something like that.

Posts: 17156 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have a Lee

No problems with anything other than the WSM family

For that family the snout of the funnel must be shortened

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with the RCBS funnel. I started to tip the funnel and case at a 45 degree angle and pour slowly but steadily. Works fine for me.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
a gray set that includes different ends;

+1

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look into the small end of the funnel and see if it has a sink (depression) from mold shrinkage.

If it does it may not work well with ball powders.

If it doesn't it might need a little bit of graphite to permit the powder to slide until it gets coated with graphite from the powder..

If the opening of the funnel is fuzzy with mold flash ream it out a little with an exacto knife.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Are you holding the case or is it in a case holder?
The only caliber that is a problem is the .17's. A special funnel is needed.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 445 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It is in a case holder.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Posts: 10 | Location: Baton Rouge, La | Registered: 07 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think your technique needs attention however you can go to the camping section of your walmart and get a funnel that is used for putting coleman fuel in the stove. a .223 case will fit inside of the spout but a little shake will put any powder that collects in the case lip into the case.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Is it a static issue? If so, rub a dryer sheet on the inside of the funnel. Once you load enough rounds, it'll go away and be a nonissue.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote