Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Weatherby Stuff
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
I was looking over some fireformed cases from this summer and noticed the "headspace stretch ring" or what passes for it. This is most definitely not a problem as I have just noticed this now the brass has aged enough to color. Also checking my books this degree of stretch is insignificant. BUT me being me (and glad of it I must say) I want to try to make this not happen on any new fireformed cases.
I have been pretty busy here at school so I haven't had a chance to get to the range and this works well into my plans.

I bought a RCBS kinetic bullet puller to do this. I have my cases loaded with 78 grains IMR-4350 and cheapo Speer 235 grain bullets. I don't like the idea of waste so my thoughts are to pull the bullets (which are seated to a normal length) then re-seat them loosely and FAR OUT, so they'll just pop out of the case and the case'll be free to move back as pressure rises. Since my 'smith was faithful to Weatherby's design it has a throat a "Southern Mile" long or I would seat them out to try to touch the lands.

If I did not care about wasting the powder I'd stuff this thing full of SR-4759 and fireform with that fast pistol powder. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I'd make the bullet touch the lands and single load them.

Don

posted Hide Post
The best way to form the brass without straining anything is to use a cast bullet turned base forward, plus some filler and pistol powder like Bullseye. At least in my experience!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote