Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

split brass
 Login/Join

posted
I have split brass about a 1/4 inch up from the head stamp.I no I had to much head space and I fixed it but 2 peaces of brass have cracked and I cant find eny cracks in the chamber just the burn marcks.The brass will be week but should I get rid of the brass or the gun.

Posts: 14 | Location: canada | Registered: 08 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
What caliber?
What kind of brass?
How many firings?
How did you resize, NS, PFLR or FLR?
What powder?
What weight powder?
What primer?

Got a picture?

I would be surprised if you had a gun problem rather than a reloading problem.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More importantly Circumfrencial cracks (cracks going around the case) or linear cracks (cracks running lengthwise)

The two are VERY different and from very different causes.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
22-250/win brass/5 or more/flr/ 34gr of imr 3031/fed 210lr.the crack goes around the case.

Posts: 14 | Location: canada | Registered: 08 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your FL reloading die is most likely set up to push back the case shoulder more than it should be.

Use the search function here to find a description of how to set up your dies for "Partial Full Length" sizing. Alternatively, buy one of these gizmos:

Stoney Point Headspace Gauge

and make sure your sizing operation pushes back the shoulder no more than .001 - .002".

Toss your old brass, the incipient case separations you are seeing in a few cases is most likely an indication of all the cases getting overstretched. If you don't catch the brass before the separation occurs, you might end up with a face full of hot gases.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Your FL reloading die is most likely set up to push back the case shoulder more than it should be.

Use the search function here to find a description of how to set up your dies for "Partial Full Length" sizing. Alternatively, buy one of these gizmos:

Stoney Point Headspace Gauge

and make sure your sizing operation pushes back the shoulder no more than .001 - .002".

Toss your old brass, the incipient case separations you are seeing in a few cases is most likely an indication of all the cases getting overstretched. If you don't catch the brass before the separation occurs, you might end up with a face full of hot gases.

- mike

exactly

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote